cotton seed cake?

Catch-all for all other types of fishing...
micus
2018 Member of the Year

cotton seed cake?

Post by micus » August 23rd, 2005, 9:25 pm

Image Went looking for cotton seed cake for the first time in many years and lo and behold the feed dealers can't get it! Anybody here got an access to it they'll share?

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Re: cotton seed cake?

Post by BornBad » August 23rd, 2005, 9:54 pm

Micus, don't get to wild in here or I'll move this post to the lodge Image Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

JimDog
2014 Member of the Year

Post by JimDog » August 23rd, 2005, 11:09 pm

Here is some. I have not seen it in years, although I haven't been looking, either. Try checking old bait shops down near the river. I think there is one just north of old town St. Charles. Also some in west alton. It has been AGES since I have been out that way - so these places quite possibly no longer exist.
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » August 24th, 2005, 4:42 pm

Micus, my bad. I did not know what cotton seed cake was, so I looked it up.
cottonseed cake [n]

1) the solid matter remaining after oil has been pressed from cottonseeds

There was nothing to imply it was anything related to fishing. With this, I presumed your question was off topic.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

micus
2018 Member of the Year

Post by micus » August 24th, 2005, 10:32 pm

Shhhh! It absolutely has nothing to do with fishing. Feeding cattle, yeah, that's what I want it for.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » August 25th, 2005, 3:37 pm

I haven't used it in dacades, but when I did, I always caught more Carp then Cats. Image
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

micus
2018 Member of the Year

Post by micus » August 25th, 2005, 6:14 pm

So do I, but then I like carp. Learned about it a bit talking to people who cook the fish up at the Legion hall. My wife's Granny loved it. I got away from it 15 years or so ago but recently have regained an interest in that type of fishing.

oneshot
2018 Member of the Year

Post by oneshot » September 7th, 2005, 10:51 pm

I like catching them Carp on Rod and Reel.Put up one heck of a fight.

oneshot
Image The Big Grin eats them old Carp.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » January 2nd, 2006, 12:28 am

I was talkin to a guy the other day who said MFA carries cotton seed cake, seasonally. He said it the chit for buffalo, carp and Asian carp. I have never seen the stuff, he told me I'd have to cut it down with a jig saw and pre-drill the holes?

micus
2018 Member of the Year

Post by micus » January 2nd, 2006, 5:13 pm

Sounds like the stuff. Then you rig it: hook, cake, hook on a clip and let dangle just below the surface. Use heavy gear! Cat will bite on it but seem to avoid getting hooked too often. I haven't been able to find it at all in St. Charles County. Tried MFA breeder cubes but they melt too fast. Last August I bought a1754 Blind Duck so have been getting out on the Mississippi quite a bit. Fishing for EVERYTHING!

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » January 2nd, 2006, 10:04 pm

That ol' boy fired me up about going after them asian carp. 'Never was much for carp, but he tells me them asian carp are nothing like common carp; fewer bones, mostly white meat and not near as oily.

Me thinks it's mostly just a fishin itch, realing in salad and telling lies about the one that got away sounds good to me right now.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » January 3rd, 2006, 11:38 am

Go catch and release trout.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » January 3rd, 2006, 10:19 pm

I'd rather be culling the 4th trout Image

micus
2018 Member of the Year

Post by micus » January 8th, 2006, 12:38 pm

What I'm really after are those big grass carp in pool 26. They have been caught over 50#s and can go over 100#s. They are as strong as a marlin. Also tastes better than a common carp. Lost interest in trout fishing decades ago. Hate trout parks. If I take it back up it will be on the Current. I've got 40 acres over off Big Creek so I can camp there and commute.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » January 9th, 2006, 7:09 am

With a trout park in 15 minutes, over years, it's nothing more than a slightly exciting trip to wally world. I get some fresh air, a little exercize, I'm in, I'm out and back home in less than two hours. Trout has became a regular item in the grocery list; most days it's in stock but some days you are just sol.