Chantrelle?

Mushroom hunting, mushroom eating, and all things Shroom.
sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Chantrelle?

Post by sharps4590 » September 25th, 2005, 7:18 pm

Question for micus or anyone else who knows. Is the distinct fragrance of apricot from the Chantrelle a positive identifier? I found what I'm convinced is a Chantrelle but I don't have anyone close to show it to. It meets all the criteria in my mushroom book including the apricot fragrance. The book also says the Jack 'o Lantern mushroom doesn't have much of an odor/fragrance. Any info appreciated.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

micus
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Chantrelle?

Post by micus » October 2nd, 2005, 7:27 pm

One of them. Jack O Lantern always grows on wood and is bright orange. Chanterelles never grow directly on wood and are pastel orange to yellow. Jack O Lantern has real gills. Chanterelle only has ridges.

ahistory
2018 Member of the Year

Post by ahistory » October 6th, 2005, 12:42 pm

I found some regular chanterelles and some smooth chants over the weekend, so they are out there. One was about 5 inches across. The regular chants were a sulphur yellow and the smooth chants were bright orange. They both did indeed smell fruity much like apricots.

A good way to discern these from their poisonous look-a-likes the jack-o-lantern is to look at the gills/ridges. If they fork then they should be chants. Also chants have white flesh and jacks do not. Last, jacks grow in small clusters, while chants mainly grow in singles or twos and threes.

ahistory
2018 Member of the Year

Post by ahistory » October 7th, 2005, 12:28 pm

Went out yesterday and found around 150 regular chanterelles and another 25 or so smooth chants. If you are looking for them, I found all several large patches along a small dried up creek in a rather small valley. Look for places where runoff and drainage from the surrounding hills would join the creek. The main patches seem to be located there (at least around here in Mid-MO).

ahistory
2018 Member of the Year

Post by ahistory » October 7th, 2005, 12:35 pm

If you would like to see some pictures of the Missouri chanterelles I found to see what they look like check out: http://www.michiganmorels.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6216

(may need to register to view, but its free)

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » November 10th, 2005, 5:34 pm

Hey Ahistory..

Thanks for all the good info, you too micus, I'm grateful

Ahistory, the chantrelle I found, I'm positive it was a chantrelle now, was on the finger of a ridge. I'll have to check locations such as you suggested as they're common where I live. Thanks again to both of you.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

ahistory
2018 Member of the Year

Post by ahistory » November 11th, 2005, 2:26 am

No problem sharps. Here are some photos of some Jack-o-Lanterns I found this fall so you can see what not to pick.

Some of these were growing alone in between clumps and it is easy to see how they could be misidentified. They look an awful lot like chants from the top view.

micus
2018 Member of the Year

Post by micus » November 11th, 2005, 4:10 pm

Look for mossy areas with some sunlight. Edges of trails etc. found under Oaks or conifers.