Predator knowledge

Information about hunting predators in Missouri
Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Predator knowledge

Post by Outdoorsfool » October 5th, 2005, 4:46 pm

Woodsmanship and knowledge of predator's habits helped lead rescuers to a lost 2 year old. Here's the story that was in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Coyote Howls lead to lost boy

To Lynn Stephenson and Mike Runge... Image and Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Two Tall the Neanderthal
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Predator knowledge

Post by Two Tall the Neanderthal » October 5th, 2005, 5:21 pm

Great job by those guys, though I call horsechit.
KILLIN' S.O.B.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » October 5th, 2005, 5:36 pm

TTTN-What part you calling horsehit on? The part about the coyotes calling each other after hearing a "scream"? I was surprised to see the city paper printing they were avid hunters.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Two Tall the Neanderthal
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Two Tall the Neanderthal » October 6th, 2005, 12:00 pm

That those coyotes were banding up at all. Those darn dogs get a wiff of human and they are long gone. Kid or adult. The whole deal is a little off canter. I'm glad those guys found the kid, but I just can't beleive they were led there by coyotes howling because the kid was screaming.

Go into most places anymore after dark and there are yotes hollering in three directions.
KILLIN' S.O.B.

counts
2018 Member of the Year

Post by counts » October 6th, 2005, 12:17 pm

Unless the Coyotes were out of range of scent and were reacting the a stressed sound. I have called them in by making stressed calls vocally.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 6th, 2005, 12:53 pm

Coyotes have attacked kids and pets in CA suburbs. They aint getting to the suburbs without crossing the scent of people for sure.

I killed two coyotes one year on the last weekend of deer season. I was at the inlaws and just walked back to their pasture and sat under a cedar. I could hear my daughter and nephews playing on the swingset yelling and sqealing, laughing etc. At 3:45 a female yote comes barreling through the middle of the field up toward the corner I was in (the corner nearest the house) and I shot it at 40yds. Then at 4:15 a male yote came through hugging the west field edge, again closing in on the corner I was sitting in. The only thing I can think of that was bringing those yotes in was the sqealing laughing sounds of the 2, 4, and 5yr old playing on the swing set.

I also saw a yote 2-3weeks ago in my neighbors backyard. That yote wasn't 75yds from his backdoor, and hung around for 3-4minutes before getting back into the woods.

Once an animal gets into an urban/suburban setting, it gets used to the scent of people. It has to or it wouldn't live there long.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » October 6th, 2005, 1:07 pm

I think it's all about conditioning. I have to agree with
TTTN about the 'yotes hightailing it at the first scent, sign, movement of humans. But I think that's because the 'yotes where I hunt don't see humans on a regular basis. In more urban settings I don't think the 'yotes are near as concerned about humans and even see them as a food source, whether it be from trash, pet food, pets, etc..

I thought the article was interesting when the rescuer's said the child was "screaming". I can him being scared to death and crying or yelling for his mom/dad. But "screaming" I can't see unless something was after him.

counts
2018 Member of the Year

Post by counts » October 6th, 2005, 1:47 pm

A week ago a Lear Jet flew low over the county spot I hunt, and a few yotes went ballistic on the hilltop. These critters may just sound off sometimes triggered by any sort of noise.

Two Tall the Neanderthal
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Two Tall the Neanderthal » October 6th, 2005, 5:21 pm

Stranger things have happened.
KILLIN' S.O.B.