300 RUM: Reloading Mistake

I usually just stick more bullets in...

Moderator: scottwhitman

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

300 RUM: Reloading Mistake

Post by Swamp_Fox » October 9th, 2005, 1:01 pm

I found this on another forum. Just a little safety reminder.

300 RUM Scrap Metal

Matt Norman
one of us

Posted 04 October 2005 05:23

A friend of mine was injured at a shooting range this past weekend. He gave me the following account of it.

Guy next to him was shooting a newer Savage bolt rifle in 300 RUM. It had a synthetic stock. The reloaded ammo was a 200 grain Nosler Accubond with 93 grains of Reloader 25. First shot hit the target and the primer was dimpled around the firing pin dent. The shooter had a problem chambering the second shot, (he had to force the bolt closed). The rifle blew up at the shot.

The action came completely apart and it broke the scope in half. The bolt struck my friend in the head at the next bench over resulting in a serious cut requiring a trip to the E.R. Even wearing earmuffs the sound rendered him temporarily deaf and his ears are still ringing the next day.

The barrel seperated completely from the action but otherwise didn't come apart. The case was still in the chamber minus the bullet and the case head. Unknown where the bullet went as it didn't hit the target. The shooter and his friend to the other side caught some minor metal wounds and fragments of the synthetic stock.

What's interesting is the same guy was also shooting a 338 Lapua that day and also loads for it. Couple questions. Is it possible to chamber a 338 Lapua in a 300 RUM? Would it be possible to seat a .338 bullet in a 300 RUM and close the bolt.

My friend believes somebody might have taken some photos and he's trying to get them.
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Re: 300 RUM: Reloading Mistake

Post by Big John » October 11th, 2005, 4:21 pm

That guy is lucky he is still breathing! WOW!