1/4 pound unsalted butter, melted

1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon salt

4 cups pecan halves

Bourbon Whipped Cream (optional):

1 cup heavy cream

2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar

1 tablespoon bourbon

1. Prepare the dough: In a food processor with blade attached, place the flour and salt and pulse 2 to 3 times to combine. Add butter and shortening and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal -- 6 or 7 pulses. Combine water and vinegar and add while pulsing, stopping as soon as the dough begins to come together. Remove dough and form into a ball. Divide dough in half and flatten each half into a disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

2. Prepare piecrusts: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly flour one disk of dough and place it between two sheets of plastic wrap. Roll out a circle of dough about 12 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick. Remove top sheet of plastic and carefully transfer dough to a 10-inch pie pan. Remove the plastic wrap. With a knife, trim edges; form scraps into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill in freezer. Place the prepared pan in the freezer for 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining disk of dough. Fit a piece of parchment paper large enough to cover the entire crust into each pie pan. Fill with pie weights or dried beans and bake until golden brown -- about 10 minutes.

3. Prepare the pie filling: In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with vanilla. Add corn syrup, butter, sugar, and salt and mix well. Place pecan halves, flat side down, along the bottom of the baked crusts until covered. For each pie, carefully pour one-half of the filling over the pecans and allow the pecans to float to the surface.

4. Make leaf decorations: Roll out reserved piecrust scraps between layers of plastic wrap. Peel off one layer of plastic. With a small knife or a mini-cookie cutter, cut out 1 1/2-inch leaf shapes using all available dough scraps. Use the back of a knife and lightly press to create a vein pattern in each leaf. Paint the piecrust edge with the beaten egg and "glue" leaves onto piecrust. Lightly brush the tops of the leaves with the egg as well. Place pies in the oven and lower the temperature to 375 degrees F. Bake 45 to 50 minutes until brown and bubbling. Cool pies on a rack completely before serving.

5. Prepare Bourbon Whipped Cream: Beat or whisk the cream, sugar, and bourbon until soft peaks form. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with pie, if desired.

I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Re: The pecans are falling

Post by BornBad » October 10th, 2005, 9:51 pm

HONEY CRUNCH PECAN PIE

Ingredients for filling:
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped Pecans

Ingredients for topping:
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
3 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cup NC Pecan halves

For filling, combine eggs, corn syrup, 1/4 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla and salt in large bowl. Stir in chopped NC Pecans. Mix well. Spoon into unbaked pie crust.

Bake at 350 F. For 15 minutes. Cover edge with foil to prevent browning. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Remove foil and save.

For topping, combine 1/3 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons butter and honey in medium saucepan. Cook about 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Add NC Pecan halves. Stir until coated. Spoon over pie. Re-cover edge with foil. Bake 10 to 20 minutes or until topping is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Cool to room temperature before serving. Refrigerate leftover pie.

------------------------------
Ingredients for crust:

2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Crisco shortening
5 tablespoons cold water

Combine flour and salt in medium bowl. Cut in Crisco until all flour is blended to form pea-size chunks. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Toss lightly with fork until dough will form a ball. Roll dough 1 inch larger than upside down pie plate.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 10th, 2005, 9:58 pm

PERFECT PECAN PIE

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/8 cups pecans
1 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
3 large eggs
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/3 cup water

Easy Pie Dough
1 1/8 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
4 tablespoons frozen butter
2 tablespoons frozen vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons ice cold water

DIRECTIONS:

To make crust: Mix flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Rub cream cheese into flour mixture with fingertips to blend thoroughly. Using a box grater, grate frozen butter and shortening into flour mixture. Working quickly, rub fat into flour until it has the texture of coarse sand and small pebbles. Stir in ice-cold water with a fork until dough clumps form; press to form a cohesive ball. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, pressing it into a thick disk. Refrigerate until cold and firm, at least 1 hour. (Can be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen for a month.)

Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch circle, turning frequently and dusting with flour to keep it from sticking. Fold dough in half; quickly lift it into 9-inch Pyrex (not deep-dish) pie plate and unfold. Fit dough into plate so it is not stretched in any way. Trim with scissors to 1/2-inch beyond pan lip. Roll overhanging dough under with fingertips so it is flush with pan lip, then flute. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours. (Do not prick shell with a fork.)

Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Line pie shell with a sheet of heavy-duty foil. Crumple 3 large pieces of foil into balls and place in shell to act as light weights. Bake (lightly pressing on foil if dough starts to balloon) until fluting turns golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Remove all foil; bake until bottom starts to turn golden brown, about 5 minutes longer. Remove shell from oven.

To make filling: Adjust oven rack to middle position and reduce temperature to 300 degrees. In a separate pie plate, toast pecans in oven until fragrant, about 10 minutes.

Reduce temperature to 250. Meanwhile, heat brown sugar and corn syrup in a medium heat-proof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water until sugar is almost dissolved. In another medium bowl, whisk eggs, yolks, vanilla and salt. Slowly whisk warm sugar mixture into eggs. Return bowl to pan of simmering water. Whisk in butter. In a small pan over low heat, stir together cornstarch and water until pasty thick; whisk into sugar-egg mixture. Heat in bowl over simmering water, stirring frequently. Set pie shell on middle oven rack. Sprinkle in pecans, then pour filling into shell. Bake until pie puffs slightly and just sets, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool to room temperature and serve.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 10th, 2005, 10:03 pm

CHOCOLATE PECAN PIE

2 eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
1 cup pecan halves
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 9 inch frozen pie shell, thawed

Preheat oven to 375?F. Beat eggs lightly with an electric mixer in a mixing bowl. Add corn syrup, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until mixed thoroughly. Add melted butter and mix. Stir in pecans by hand. Sprinkle chocolate chips in bottom of pie shell. Pour pecan mixture into pie shell and bake 40-45 minutes.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 10th, 2005, 10:06 pm

CHOCOLATE BOURBON PECAN PIE

Pastry dough for a double-crusted pie*
4 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted and cooled
1 1/2 pounds semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
8 eggs
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons vanilla
1/2 cup bourbon whiskey

Line the bottom a 9- or 10-inch springform pan with parchment.

Roll the pastry dough out to fit the springform pan, all the way up the sides, using any extra dough to reinforce the sides with extra thickness. (If using unbaked commercial pie crusts, place one crust in the bottom of the springform pan. Cut the other crust into strips roughly 3-inch strips. Using moistened fingertips, join the strips to the bottom disk of dough to form the sides of the pastry shell.) Chill thoroughly.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set oven rack for baking in lower third of oven. Combine pecans with chocolate and pour enough into chilled pastry shell to fill 3/4 of the way. (Depending on the size of your springform pan, you may have some of the pecan-chocolate mixture left over. If you do, feel free to nibble.)

With an electric mixer, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, cream, vanilla and bourbon until well-blended. Strain through a sieve and pour over the chocolate and pecans, stopping about 1/2 inch from the top of the pan (the filling rises a little in baking). With your hands, gently mix nuts and chocolate into egg mixture.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes until lightly browned. Cover with aluminum foil and bake 30 to 40 minutes until the middle of the pie "souffles" (it will puff up, and no longer look liquid in the center when lightly shaken). Total cooking time should be 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours. Chill thoroughly, preferably overnight.

Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

* Use either your favorite pie crust recipe or 2 unbaked commercial pie crusts from your grocer's refrigerated section.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 10th, 2005, 10:10 pm

PECAN PIE-TOPPED BROWNIES

Brownies
3/4 cup cocoa, sifted
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Topping
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and ligthly grease a large baking tin, approximately 9 x 12 inches.

Melt the butter or margarine over low heat in a small saucepan. Add the flour and stir until smooth.

Add the vanilla, sugar and eggs and stir constantly for 5 or so minute.

Remove from heat and stir in nuts. Set aside.

Mix brownie ingredients together in a large bowl. Spread into baking pan.

Spread topping over.

Bake for 35-40 minute Be careful not to overbake.

Cool and cut into bars.

LadyAngler
<font color="#FF0000"><b>2008 Member of the YEAR</

Post by LadyAngler » October 11th, 2005, 10:01 am

I would never disclose my recipe, EVER!!! Image
Anything you can do, I can do better.

CuppedAndCommitted
2018 Member of the Year

Post by CuppedAndCommitted » October 11th, 2005, 10:30 am

I love pecan pie. LA, there's not much I wouldn't do for a great pecan pie.
McLintock, great party, but no whiskey. We go home.

LadyAngler

Post by LadyAngler » October 11th, 2005, 12:18 pm

CC~You wouldn't have to do anything but ask. Image

fishin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishin » October 11th, 2005, 1:02 pm

OK, I'll ask pecan is my favorite Image
"Now there's too many fools makin too many rules,
that's one thing you can't say about us."

LadyAngler

Post by LadyAngler » October 11th, 2005, 1:29 pm

I said CC had to ask. I didn't say anything about you, Fish. Get to shellin', and I will consider! Image

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 11th, 2005, 2:26 pm

LadyAngler said:
I would never disclose my recipe, EVER!!! Image

One look at dave-t, I'm guessin you aint much of a cook anyhow Image

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 11th, 2005, 2:36 pm

She's an excellent cook of homestyle foods. She doesn't bake as often as I'd like however.

I'm just cursed with a very high metabolism, runs in the T. family.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

LadyAngler

Post by LadyAngler » October 11th, 2005, 3:02 pm

dave-t. said:

I'm just cursed with a very high metabolism, runs in the T. family.

If only it were sexually transmitted...