Hey Counts!

Train yo dawg
bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Hey Counts!

Post by bullitt » November 27th, 2005, 4:30 pm

How's that new pointer dawg working out?
Give us an update.
Rehab is for quitters.

counts
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Hey Counts!

Post by counts » November 27th, 2005, 8:07 pm

She is doing great. She is starting to really get a handle on what is expected of her. At 7 months old she still has quite a few puppy moments. I will post up some pics next week of her hunting. She loves the game. I have learned a lot abour dog training, and I can't tell you how cool it is to watch her starting to figure it out.

bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bullitt » November 28th, 2005, 10:16 am

Sounds great. She'll do a lot of puppy stuff for quite awhile. Just keep taking her out and don't expect "robo dog" anytime soon. I'm glad she's doing well.
I lost my male dog to liver cancer last week, so I'm down to one pointer, and she's definately the "junior varsity". She's 3 yrs old, and still kind of squirrley.
Good luck.
Rehab is for quitters.

counts
2018 Member of the Year

Post by counts » November 28th, 2005, 11:36 am

At first it was difficult to be completely consistant with training, and only giving commands when I was in position to enforce them immediately. Now, after months of training, she is starting to listen. I spend more time policing others when they are around her. Things like not playing fetch with her, repeating commands before she does them, and letting her get completely out of control. It is funny how when people see me work her, they want to try to take the wheel. She just runs to me and sits down staring up at me waiting to make her do something. These dogs really are fun. I have had various dogs all my life. Even trained them to be obedient pets. This is a different process all together.

bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bullitt » November 28th, 2005, 2:42 pm

Yeah, I don't like people taking to my dog either. About the only thing I want someone else to say to my dog is "Whoa" if I'm not right there handy to do it myself. Other than that, let her run, and let me worry about it.
Rehab is for quitters.