Replacing the Gelcoat

Catch-all for all other types of fishing...
fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

Replacing the Gelcoat

Post by fishnxs » April 13th, 2004, 10:02 am

Does anyone in the Springfield area know of anyone that does Gelcoats?
Has anyone had this done?
Mine is in pretty bad shape and I'd like to get an idea of how much it would cost to re-do the Gelcoat.
The carpet needs to be replaced too.
I'm trying to decide if it's better to fix or just trade boats.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Replacing the Gelcoat

Post by Hellbender » April 14th, 2004, 1:04 am

Thats tough Fishnxs because thats the first thing put on a glass boat. They put it in the mold and then build the boat inside it. You can paint it and maybe someone will do a whole boat, but I doubt it. At any rate I would think it would be very expensive.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

safetybass
2018 Member of the Year

Post by safetybass » April 14th, 2004, 1:26 am

Nxs, Not very close to Springfield, but Truman Lake Fiberglass does a lot of that work. They're on Highway 7 in Creighton, MO (between Clinton and Harrisonville, southeast of KC). Good reputation. Website is www.trumanfiberglass.com

fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishnxs » April 14th, 2004, 9:45 am

HB I did not realize that the Gelcoat went on first until just the last few days when I've been checking into this.
It's a good boat just has lost it's shine so to speak. Of course there's a chip here and there missing but doesn't leak.

SB thanks for the site, I'm going to contact them and see if I can get an idea ($$$$)on repairs. It's along way from home but who knows.

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » April 14th, 2004, 2:30 pm

Speaking of leaks gary, you figure out where that mystery water came from at pomme the other day. I don't want to have to swim next trip!...lol

Delbert
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Delbert » April 14th, 2004, 2:32 pm

I am new here and having a hard time figuring out what to do to post, etc. Reading about your problem, if it were me, I would call some boat dealers in my area and ask them who does good work on fiberglass. You might also ask some boat mechanics if you know any.

fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishnxs » April 14th, 2004, 5:55 pm

Wolfie the leak has only showed up when you were in the boat, I've been wondering if maybe YOU didn't?? Image

7S's I've checked with a couple and they wanted me to bring the boat in and leave it for awhile. At the time that wasn't an option with me but with some down time coming up may have to do that. Would rather find someone that does that maybe on the side or has a small shop or whatever.

Getting this feeling that the cost of the gelcoat and new carpet etc. may be more than I want to put in an older boat.
But also keeping in mind that I just had the motor rebuilt last year. Image Image Image

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » April 14th, 2004, 7:40 pm

fishnxs you may have to look into a new boat, with your motor on the back, so that you can make a comparison.
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » April 15th, 2004, 10:20 am

What Gary is wanting to have re-done is the clear topcoat over the metalflake base coat. Over the years, his has faded from exposure to the sun. He saw the way it worked out on my old tub, and I suggested that he look into having it done to his boat. My boat is an 89 Javelin, but the paint job looks like the boat is a lot newer than that. The carpet is still the same 15 year old stuff, but the interior and exterior down to the rub rail looks great.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » April 15th, 2004, 2:42 pm

Now Gary, when i mark a fellas boat i fish with i mark the tires, not IN the boat. Course the way the boat was moveing the last time i marked my fishing territory i could of dribbled a lil on the motor though...lol
Thought about you last night about 3. Walked outside dads house to come home and it was down right comfortable. Thought it would of been a good night to be catfishing on stockton...lol

CW, them Gar was a rolling a bit around us up there last week. Be getting time to break out the bow fishing gear here before to long.

fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishnxs » April 15th, 2004, 4:39 pm

I've been thinking about the cats too. After the whites fizzled again and it looking like I'm going to miss the crappies the cats have moved to the top of the list.

bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bullitt » April 15th, 2004, 11:54 pm

fishnxs, I don't think that the finish rework is as expensive as you think. Terry McCullum Boat repair in Duquesne, MO specializes in this type of work. He is located just east of Joplin, and is a friend of mine. He won't know me by my net handle, but he does good work and would be worth a call. 417-623-8138 Just tell him Scott from the Elks Lodge sent you. (that ought to raise the bill!!) Image
Rehab is for quitters.

safetybass
2018 Member of the Year

Post by safetybass » April 16th, 2004, 10:59 pm

Nxs, you might want to get that estimate and THEN tell him Scott sent you. Let us know if the price goes up, or goes down! Also, I think Bullitt is right about the price; what you want done may not be nearly as bad as you might think. I practically tore the nose off my Ranger, but I could fix it 10 times for what a new one costs!

fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishnxs » April 17th, 2004, 12:03 pm

Bullitt thanks I'll give him a call Monday and see what he has to say. I use to know a guy by that name that worked at Yellow Freight several years ago.

I've been trying to find out if I could just use some rubbing compound on the top part, which is the worst and then maybe over spray with some clear Laquer.

Safetybass you think maybe I should stand away from the phone when I call????
Boats are definitely not cheap toys.

bullitt
2018 Member of the Year

Post by bullitt » April 18th, 2004, 8:19 pm

B.O.A.T. Break Out Another Thousand
Rehab is for quitters.