Focus and Parallex

I usually just stick more bullets in...

Moderator: scottwhitman

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Focus and Parallex

Post by Swamp_Fox » July 30th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Can a scopes focus and parallex be out of sync?
I haven't heard of this as a problem but I have a Leupold VXIII that seem off.
As a hunter I would never have noticed.
As a target shooter it is damned bothersome.
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Focus and Parallex

Post by Big John » July 31st, 2006, 3:12 am

I have never heard of them being in sinc.If the eyepiece is able to be focused then that would be where I would start. Do you wear glasses? If so are they correct? If they are then I would loosen the locking ring and adjust the focus so it is clear at say 25yds lock the ring down then check the focus at 100yds not the cross hairs just the view thru the lens, then try your parallex and see if it focuses the cross hairs and the target. I have noticed that my 20/20 vision is now 20/19 or something like that and I had to adjust my scope this last time out to the range. Hope this helps .

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swamp_Fox » July 31st, 2006, 4:10 am

I think I got the skinny from another site.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » August 8th, 2006, 4:07 pm

Parallex: no definition found.

Parallax:

The change in the position of an object in the heavens due to the orbit of the earth. Observable parallax in the fixed stars is a proof of the rotation of the earth around the sun.

With a lens-shutter camera, parallax is the difference between what the viewfinder sees and what the camera records, especially at close distances. This is caused by the separation between the viewfinder and the picture-taking lens. There is no parallax with single-lens-reflex cameras because when you look through the viewfinder, you are viewing the subject through the picture-taking lens.

An optical illusion which occurs in analog meters and causes reading errors. It occurs when the viewing eye is not in the same plane, perpendicular to the meter face, as the indicating needle.

The apparent motion of a relatively close object with respect to a more distant background as the location of the observer changes.

used by animators (but also apparent in any moving image) the parallax effect arises because. When we move by them, closer objects seem to move faster than more distant ones. If therefore an animator makes one plane of his drawing move more slowly, it appears more distant and adds depth to the image.

the effect whereby the apparent position or direction of an object changes with the observation point. See solar parallax for its affect on solar parameters. The effect can affect the accuracy of reading scales.

As the subject moves closer to the camera, what is seen in the viewfinder is not a precise image of the same area that is captured on film. Some cameras automatically compensate for this by adjusting the frame lines or providing additional lines in the viewfinder. The amount of parallax error differs between cameras and is dependent on the placement of the viewfinder in relation to the lens. Single-lens reflex cameras do not suffer from this problem.

The perceived movement of a distant object such as a moon, planet, or star due to the movement of the Earth.

A major clue to the perception of depth in vision, parallax arises from the relative motions of near and far objects that is produced when the viewer moves his or her head up and down or from side to side. See also stereopsis.

The apparent change of position of a close object compared to a more distant object when the viewer shifts the position from which he views the object (try this: hold your finger close to your face and look at it first with one eye, and then the other. The finger will appear to move).

An effect seen in close-up photography where the viewfinder does not see the same as the lens. This is normally due to the offset of the viewfinder and lens. This is not an issue if you are using the LCD as a viewfinder or if your camera is an SLR..

The apparent shift of an object as it is observed from different locations. For example, having two eyes allows your brain to consider the parallax and gives you the benefit of improved depth perception. Similarly in photogrammetry, the parallax for a point that appears in overlapping photographs is used to determine its elevation.

The apparent motion of an object caused by viewing the object from different locations.

The apparent movement of an object viewed through a lens when the position of observation is moved laterally.

The difference in point of view that occurs when the lens (or other device) through which the eye views a scene is separate from the lens that exposes the film.

The apparent shift in position of a nearby object, relative to more distant ones, as the observer changes position. Using basic trigonometry, it is possible to derive the distance of a star as observed from opposite points on Earth's orbit.

An optical effect based on the stereoscopic perception of objects in space. The difference in the angle of sight between the right eye and the left eye creates parallax, or the viewing angle, which makes it possible to locate an object in 3D space. There is a vertical parallax and a horizontal parallax. In photography, vertical and horizontal parallax are eliminated because only one lens is used to take the picture; a photograph gives a false sense of depth of field. ...

triangulation - Used to measure the distance of the star from the earth. The earth's orbit around the sun has a diameter of about 186 million miles (300 million kilometers). By looking at a star one day and then looking at it again 6 months later, an astronomer can see a difference in the viewing angle for the star. With a little trigonometry the different angles yield a distance. This technique works for stars within about 400 light years of earth.

Occurs in telescopic sights when the primary image of the objective lens does not coincide with the reticle. In practice. parallax is detected in the scope when, as the viewing eye is moved laterally. the image and the reticle appear to move in relation to each other.

An apparent change in the position of an object when the person looking at the object changes position. The angle between two imaginary lines from two different observation points meeting at a star or celestial body that is used to measure its distance from the Earth.

Where objects in a scene seem to shift laterally relative to one another as the angle of view is changed.

The difference in appearance or position of an object when viewed from two different locations.

The difference between what is viewed in the viewfinder, and what is recorded to film - not an issue when using an SLR camera, but a regular cause of badly framed images on film-compact cameras. Many digital cameras now allow the photographer to compose the image through the lens rather than a detachable viewfinder, and this also eliminates the effect of parallax.

In telescopic sights, the condition that exists when the reticle (crosshairs) does not lie exactly on the image plane. Excessive parallax makes the shooter's eye position very critical if repeatable accuracy is to be obtained. Most lower power scopes have the parallax correction pre-set at 150 yards; high-magnification scopes (10X and up) commonly have an adjustable objective to correct for various distances. ...

A condition that occurs when the image of the target is not focused precisely on the reticle plane. Parallax is visible as an apparent movement between the reticle and the target when the shooter moves his head or, in extreme cases, an out-of-focus image. Many scopes have a special range focus to adjust for parallax (adjustable objective).

the apparent displacement of an object as seen from two different points that are not on a line with the object

Parallax (parallag?) = alteration) is the change of angular position of twostationary points relative to each other as seen by an observer,due to the motion of said observer. Or more simply put, it is theapparent shift of an object against a background due to a change inobserver position.

Parallax is a fictional character from DC Comics. It is a fear elemental captured by the Guardians of the Universe and imprisoned in the Green Lantern Main Battery on Oa. The chaining of Parallax in the Battery weakened the Green Lantern Corps' control over the yellow portion of the colour-plasma spectrum. The Guardians were careful never to reveal to their troops the existence of Parallax.

Sheeeit, I was learnt today. Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swamp_Fox » August 8th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Yep, it was Green Lantern that helped me out. Image

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » August 9th, 2006, 1:41 am

Some have said the parallax is not a range fider however parallax can be used to get close to the range. When the crosshairs and target are focused clear look at the number on the adjustment of the objective lens and that will be close to the range.