question

For those of you who prefer traditional archery methods.
bluejay
2018 Member of the Year

question

Post by bluejay » October 26th, 2006, 11:54 am

Two times this year I had an opportunity to take a large 8 pt. who came within 10 yards of stand but daylight was not on my side. Both times I drew back, looked thru peep, and could not see pins. Wondering if you traditional shooters think your method allows you to shoot earlier? Let me know if I'm on the right track or not.

Counts 2
2018 Member of the Year

Re: question

Post by Counts 2 » October 26th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Of course no peep would allow easy sight of your pins. I would first check to see if your peep sight is as large as you can get. Target shooters use a very small peep to increase accuracy at the range. Hunters generally use a very large peep to avoid exactly what you are trying to fix. Hope this helps. Remember, with no peep at all, accuracy will be determined by how well you repeat your anchor point and line of sight through your pins. You would hate to go with no peep to find out your accuracy is diminished.

JimDog
2014 Member of the Year

Post by JimDog » October 26th, 2006, 3:18 pm

They make low light peep sights. I am sure they make them for traditional archery equipment

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.T...t=SearchResults
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.

GoGop
2018 Member of the Year

Post by GoGop » October 27th, 2006, 3:48 am

When I first started bowhunting I had a peep like that, with the tubing and the small aperture. Then, after that failed, I got one that has a larger aperture and is just a round device that goes in the string. No tubing is needed, so there's no tubing to fail while trying to draw on a deer. It mounts perpendicular to the string, and when you pull back it's at the correct angle to sight through. It worked quite well, and made the tube kind obsolete IMHO.
I don't remember the name of it, nor do I have a picture of it. Image
.. he likes to shoot a man in the throat just to see his head wobble before he hits the ground

Counts 2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Counts 2 » October 27th, 2006, 1:14 pm

I don't understand some of the light gathering peep sights. My understanding of how the eye work when you pour gathered light into it is that it closes your pupil some. That would let in less light. Go with a bigger hole as GOGOP suggested.