Bill to shorten school year....

Discussion about politicks
Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Bill to shorten school year....

Post by Outdoorsfool » January 18th, 2007, 11:03 am

What's your opinion of the bill being filed by Rep. Marsh (I believe) to allow school districts declared disaster areas to shorten their year by 5 days, so students don't have to make up those days?? Isn't the school year length actually determined at the federal level?

IMO, they need to sit their azz in school for the regular # of days. Shorten their spring break or go a few days longer. Helll, we're only talking 5 days....so far....so only have 2 or 3 days off for spring break and go a couple of days longer. This certainly doesn't require legislation or legislative intervention.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Bill to shorten school year....

Post by Swamp_Fox » January 18th, 2007, 2:05 pm

Most schools are starting the 3rd week of august and getting out the middle of may. They have time and days to spare.

Me thinks some politican is putting the problem of reschedualing his vacation above the educational needs of the kids in the entire state.
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » January 19th, 2007, 2:03 pm

They should go all year with no more than a two week break.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » January 19th, 2007, 5:38 pm

I kindof agree with BJ on this one. With the quality of education students are receiving these days, I think they need to go all year. Students in the US are lacking in mathematics, science, and even English. Let them go all year and weed out each the weaker students and especially the weaker teachers.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » January 21st, 2007, 2:53 am

My fondest childhood memories were out of the classroom. I just do not agree with all year school. Life is a lot more than an education, or it least so to me.

Carpe Diem.

I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » January 22nd, 2007, 1:59 pm

BornBad, I don't disagree. However, things are much different today as opposed to when you and I were growing up. Most kids would be better off in school year around as opposed to playing video games 24-7.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » January 22nd, 2007, 3:11 pm

The school boards are hardly qualified to run the school districts, but they do it, and poorly at that.

Same thing with city councils/board of alderman. None of those idiots would be hired as a city exec., but there they are setting policy, grand standing, and generally forking up the whole show.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » January 22nd, 2007, 3:15 pm

Warmouth said:
The school boards are hardly qualified to run the school districts, but they do it, and poorly at that.

Same thing with city councils/board of alderman. None of those idiots would be hired as a city exec., but there they are setting policy, grand standing, and generally forking up the whole show.

MoCraig would fit right in with them.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » January 22nd, 2007, 4:14 pm

MOCraig said:
None of you are qualified to do any more than femaledog.

I'm qualified. Image

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » January 22nd, 2007, 4:56 pm

They sign up for that kind of work. My mother, grandmother, and grandfather all were teachers. With the bennefits, retirement, and time off they get, I don't feel bad for them at all.

I think it's rediculous that they have to continue their own education as they go on though. It makes no sense to me why someone is qualified and good for the job, until they've worked there for 3-5 years, and then must go back to college to remain qualified for the job. heck, they've already been doing it full time for 3-5yrs. Image
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » January 22nd, 2007, 5:21 pm

Hey fornicate-stick. I grew up in a household of educators. Dad retired a small school superintendant and mom will retire this year after twentysome years in 5th and 6th grades. When I make the trip home, all I hear about is deadbeat teachers, deadbeat parents, and deadbeat kids. I was encouraged at a very early age never to teach or become a school administrator. I know exactly the hours they worked and the pay they received and that is why I got my doctorate. They couldn't afford to pay attention on what their salaries were in SEMO. That being said, I don't have one tiny bit of pity for any teacher and that includes them. Teachers can femaledog all they want about their salaries and what have you. They made their beds, and they can sleep in them. That being said, I wouldn't want to face the challenges of deadbeat kids and parents as well. But, that comes with the territory.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » January 22nd, 2007, 5:25 pm

Warmouth said:
They sign up for that kind of work. My mother, grandmother, and grandfather all were teachers. With the bennefits , retirement, and time off they get, I don't feel bad for them at all.

I think it's rediculous that they have to continue their own education as they go on though. It makes no sense to me why someone is qualified and good for the job, until they've worked there for 3-5 years, and then must go back to college to remain qualified for the job. heck, they've already been doing it full time for 3-5yrs. Image

Yeah, Dave. Where would you be without those quality teachers you've had?
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » January 22nd, 2007, 5:30 pm

Actually, teachers have decent retirement. My dad put in a lot of hours as a principal, but most teachers don't put in chit. Oh, sure, they may grade papers for a couple hours in the evenings or plan their weekly schedule, but that isn't chit when you think of them actually being on campus a mere 7.5 hours in the day. 3 months off during summer, another full month due to spring and fall breaks as well as Christmas. They can femaledog all they want and I don't feel one bit sorry for them.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » January 22nd, 2007, 5:32 pm

I'd probably not be able to spell very well. Image

I'm being perfectly serious. Nobody thinks about being a cowboy without knowing they are going to smell like cowshit at the end of the day, and nobody gets into teaching without knowing the pay is average at best. The time off and the benefits are a sweet deal for teachers. They aren't in line with a CEO of a major corporation, and never have been, or will be.

I got into the line of work I'm in knowing full well that there was a limit to earnings. The benefits, time off, along with the actual work which is fun and easy, is why I'm still here. There's no doubt in my mind that I could be making twice as much with 4 times the stress, and less time off. I didn't want that. I don't handle a lot of stress, over a long period of time, well.

Just about all of the teachers I know do something to make money over the summer when they have 1/4 of the year off. Yet, none of them act like that should be counted into their earnings when talking about teachers pay. And that is bullchit. It's an opportunity that isn't available in other careers.

I've known a lot of good teachers, and a few bad ones, but none of them were caught off guard by the pay. The ones who want more money, usually take the short track to becomming admins, like one of my college buddies has. In the small town I grew up in, teachers were on the upper side of income earnings.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » January 22nd, 2007, 5:40 pm

I think you're right on there, Dave. They don't have it too bad with $30-35K per year for 9 months of work. I know they start around $22-25K, but average is around the $30K mark, with the master's degree, which most will earn.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson