Increasingly less free society

Discussion about politicks
Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Increasingly less free society

Post by Outdoorsfool » February 7th, 2007, 2:58 pm

Now lawmakers feel it's their "duty" to protect us from our own stupidity. When will it end, when the government has control over every action, impulse or thought? The United States of America USED to be land of the free. Image

New York may ban iPods while crossing street
POSTED: 12:07 p.m. EST, February 7, 2007
Story Highlights? Legislation would ban gadget use while crossing the street
? Three pedestrians in Brooklyn killed stepping into traffic
? New York senator: We have a major public safety crisis
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- New Yorkers who blithely cross the street listening to an iPod or talking on a cell phone could soon face a $100 fine.

New York State Sen. Carl Kruger says three pedestrians in his Brooklyn district have been killed since September upon stepping into traffic while distracted by an electronic device. In one case bystanders screamed "watch out" to no avail.

Kruger says he will introduce legislation on Wednesday to ban the use of gadgets such as Blackberry devices and video games while crossing the street.

"Government has an obligation to protect its citizenry," Kruger said in a telephone interview from Albany, the state capital.

"This electronic gadgetry is reaching the point where it's becoming not only endemic but it's creating an atmosphere where we have a major public safety crisis at hand."

Tech-consuming New Yorkers trudge to work on sidewalks and subways like an army of drones, appearing to talk to themselves on wireless devices or swaying to seemingly silent tunes.

"I'm not trying to intrude on that," Kruger said. "But what's happening is when they're tuning into their iPod or Blackberry or cell phone or video game, they're walking into speeding buses and moving automobiles. It's becoming a nationwide problem."

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
-----------------------------------------------------------

If people are too stupid to cross the street without getting hit, then they need to be taken out of the gene pool anyway.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Increasingly less free society

Post by Warmouth » February 7th, 2007, 3:04 pm

I totaly agree ODF. Darwin's theory at work.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » February 7th, 2007, 3:55 pm

This is just plain stupid, How does this moron think they will enforce this if it becomes law! Let see little Jimmy Schwartz walks in front of a city bus doing 40 mph he is playing with his game boy and the bus stops just in time for little Jimmy to be under the rear wheels, along comes officer friendly notices Jimmy's game boy pushed into his chest cavity, officer friendly must now write Jimmy a ticket for walking while under the influence of electronics. This is the stupidest bill to be presented to date!!

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » February 7th, 2007, 4:06 pm

walking while under the influence of electronics.

That's priceless BJ!! Image Image
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Great White Hunter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Great White Hunter » February 7th, 2007, 5:40 pm

Hey, BJ, what state do you live in?
aka The Flake-a-nator

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » February 7th, 2007, 5:45 pm

Well you almost got me there GWH, here we refer to the city dwellers as THEM! I am about 200 miles from THEM and you can still smell THEM!

Great White Hunter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Great White Hunter » February 7th, 2007, 7:52 pm

Big John said:
Well you almost got me there GWH, here we refer to the city dwellers as THEM! I am about 200 miles from THEM and you can still smell THEM!

Quit acting like a stinking Democrat, and answer my question.
aka The Flake-a-nator

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » February 7th, 2007, 9:20 pm

New York

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » February 8th, 2007, 4:43 pm

GWH - What the sam helll does that have to do with anything. We both live in the same state as the dumbass from Springfield (Marsh) that filed the bill to shorten the school year so the kids didn't have to make up the time from the ice storm. School districts oppose the bill. The bill would also only allow a few districts (read "Springfield) to shorten their year and ONLY for time lost due to the ice storm.
What point are you trying to make about BJ living in the same state as the dumbass that filed the bill? Unfortantely, dumbasses seem to be more prevalent in public offices.

Swamp_Fox
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Swamp_Fox » February 8th, 2007, 5:47 pm

Dumasses walk in fron of traffic on a regular basis.
Some of them now have something plugged in their ear.

Oh wait, now the gubermint can tax (fine) people for using I-pods and cell phones in public. More revenue for the general fund.

Another example of why stupid should hurt.
Carrying a gun isn't about killing.
It's about staying alive.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » February 8th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Exactly Swamper!! Image We constantly hear about our free society, our rights and liberties, but we are increasingly becoming less free and have fewer rights. God love the Unites States of America, it's the best country in the world....but when will people stand up to the politicians and say "enough"??