Troop withdrawal - From the desk of Senator McCaskill

Discussion about politicks
hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

Troop withdrawal - From the desk of Senator McCaskill

Post by hobiecat » April 18th, 2007, 12:39 pm

As some of you know I lost a cousin, whom I was very close to, in the war a few years ago. His death gained quite a bit of noteriety because of a letter he wrote to his wife and kids. Here's a link for a little more background...
Jesse Givens - Fallen Hero

Anyway, in response to some of the troop withdrawal debate going on, his brother sent me the following...
I sent an email to Senator McCaskill, and Senator Blunt, asking them not to support the amended H.R. 1591, the 2007 Emergency Supplemental appropriations bill, that included the time-line for withdrawing the troops from Iraq. This is Senator McCaskill's response. Please take time to mail, email or phone her office and let her know that most Americans support the funding of the troops without the time-line to draw down the troops. Also, please forward on to everyone you know who does support the troops.

Thank you,

Reg Givens

Subject: From the Desk of Senator Claire McCaskill

Dear Mr. Givens:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the war in Iraq. I appreciate hearing from you.

As we all know, there is no easy solution to Iraq. I oppose President Bush's handling of the war, which is why I have worked with my Senate colleagues to bring about an overdue change in course.

My work on the Senate Armed Services Committee has convinced me that the President's current escalation of troops in Iraq is unlikely to work. Defense Secretary Robert Gates admitted in response to my question before the committee that the President's plan to surge thousands more troops is unlikely to succeed without the Iraqi government fulfilling its part of the bargain. I oppose putting at risk the lives of more American men and women on such a basis.

On March 29, 2007, the Senate passed H.R. 1591, the 2007 Emergency Supplemental appropriations bill. This bill provides the necessary body armor, vehicles, and other equipment for our military men and women serving in combat. It also establishes a responsible deadline for bringing our troops home from Iraq. The provisions in this spending measure would bring a much-needed change in strategy in Iraq and re-emphasize the necessity for finding a political solution to the conflict. I am disappointed that the President has threatened to veto the Emergency Supplemental, since it clearly reflects the desire of most Americans. Please know that I am committed to providing full funding and support to our men and women serving overseas as I join my colleagues in trying to convince the Commander-in-Chief to begin the staged withdrawal of our combat troops.

The brave men and women who serve in our Armed Forces have done everything that has been asked of them, and they have done it well. Changing course in Iraq is a requirement to prevent those troops from becoming further embroiled in the Iraqi civil war. I will continue to work to put pressure on the President to bring our combat troops home.

All best,
Senator Claire McCaskill

If you feel the same, please take a moment to let your representatives know. Here's the good Senator McCaskill's email address: [email]senator__mcccaskill@mccaskill.senate_.gov[/email]
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: Troop withdrawal - From the desk of Senator McCaskill

Post by Warmouth » April 18th, 2007, 3:04 pm

The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 20th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Hobie - As a member of PFC Jesse Givens' family, please accept my gratitude for his service. He, and his family, gave the ulitmate sacrifice. Image

Check your PM's. I know it's late, but if there's anything the PGR can do, do not hesitate to ask.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

LadyAngler
<font color="#FF0000"><b>2008 Member of the YEAR</

Post by LadyAngler » April 20th, 2007, 3:56 pm

Tried to email McCaskill... came back undeliverable.
Anything you can do, I can do better.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » April 20th, 2007, 4:26 pm

If you use the one Hobie supplied you're wasting your time. He put an extra "c" in mccaskill. Try again, Hobie, you illiterate bastage.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

LadyAngler
<font color="#FF0000"><b>2008 Member of the YEAR</

Post by LadyAngler » April 20th, 2007, 4:48 pm

No I spelled it correctly, but how many underscores are we talking there?
Anything you can do, I can do better.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » April 20th, 2007, 4:52 pm

"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » April 20th, 2007, 5:39 pm

Done - although I'm sure McCaskill will not appreciate my viewpoint and thereby "round" file it. Congress needs to quit trying to have their hand in everything and run the country themselves. The Constitution has a system of checks and balances to avoid any branch having too much power. If I'm not mistaken, Congress generally authorizes war, but then it's up to the President to wage the war...hence the title "Commander-in-Chief".
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » April 20th, 2007, 5:43 pm

We will not see any troop withdrawal until the changing of the Commander-in-chief and the troops will be funded because no one will commit political suicide, which they would be doing if they take away the funding.