DWI checkpoints

Discussion about politicks
PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Re: DWI checkpoints

Post by PoisonSnake » June 18th, 2007, 5:57 pm

From the sound of things, maybe they should outlaw alcohol on all public MO waterways. I bet next year LofO will be considered to be more dangerous than the Atlantic Ocean.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » June 19th, 2007, 10:10 am

PoisonSnake said:
From the sound of things, maybe they should outlaw alcohol on all public MO waterways. I bet next year LofO will be considered to be more dangerous than the Atlantic Ocean.

PS, sure must have been a bad one at LofO this past weekend. Funny thing was not many of them had to do with boating. One that happened a short time ago was where a boat lost one of their passengers and the people in the boat narrowed it down to somewhere around 2 miles where their buddy might have fallen out of the boat.
That's funny you don't look Druish.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 19th, 2007, 11:04 am

By using that logic, they should outlaw firearms...especially around KC and St. Louis. How many people have been shot and killed in St. Louis this year? In this morning's paper alone there's stories about 2 people being killed and 3 wounded.

As the owner of the Topsider Bar is quoted in the St. Louis paper
"You can't stop stupidity."
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » June 19th, 2007, 11:39 am

OF, I was just making a foolish statement. But, what amazes me is that 6 people died this past weekend on MO's waterways. I would guess that is a first.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 19th, 2007, 1:36 pm

I know...so was I. Image The dude that died at Party Cove was an engineer out of Ft. Wood. Man, I would have thought he would have known how to swim. Maybe I don't get as drunk as these folks, but I've never had alcohol impair my ability to swim or to be able to keep myself afloat. I can see if you fall/dive in and hit your head or something, but to just disappear? Image

It was a bad few days on MO waterways....from the big river, to smaller rivers to Lake O and Truman. If you check out the WP's incident reports, them boys have been busy....and not in a good way. But they always seem to focus on Lake O as a trouble spot...of course being listed as one of the most dangerous waterways in the U.S. don't help any.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » June 19th, 2007, 2:17 pm

One guy who drowned was drunk enough that trying to put on his life jacket fell out of the boat and drowned.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » June 19th, 2007, 2:39 pm

Makes me wonder if during some of these falls the victim didn't whack his head a bit. One thing is certain, LofO is a dangerous place sober or drunk. I have fished a few all night tournaments down there and that place scares me.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 19th, 2007, 3:09 pm

One dude over Memorial weekend took a head dive (unintentionally) off the top of one house boat, bounced off the boat next to him before hitting the water. Luckily his friends saw it and dragged his azz outta the water before he drowned. Ended up getting some hospital time out of that little stunt.

That tourney thing brings up another issue down at LO. My folks have a place just outside Gravois Mills. By water, they are maybe 1.5 miles from the Gravois ramp. About 7:00pm or so Saturday evening, the area from our dock to the ramp was packed with skiiers, tubers and other boaters. Around the bend comes 10-12 + bass boats at full bore running side-by-side without any consideration for anyone else on the lake. It's one thing to be drunk and stupid...it's another thing to be sober (presumably), stupid and inconsiderate. No excuse for either one, but at least the drunks usually aren't coherent enough to know better. : offsoapbox:

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » June 19th, 2007, 9:24 pm

I have been debating whether to take my boat out for the "Dam Experience" at Truman (the big fireworks show) on June 30. I watched them the last two years from the boat (it's awsome from the boat) but then almost got run over afterwards by the large cabin cruisers and cigarette boats. I'm running an 1860 modified V with 90 HP jet motor so it's not like I'm in a rowboat or anything. It sort of takes the fun out of wathcing the fireworks and definitely gives me white knuckles running out of there.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 20th, 2007, 12:37 pm

TH - We generally go out by boat and watch the fireworks at Lake O. Sometimes, closer to the launch pad is the safest, if you don't mind having to look straight up for the show. But unless we get there early enough to get in close, we try to stay towards the back of the crowd, if possible and closer to shore. Those fornicating idiots in those huge boats can't see worth a chit in the daytime, much less at night. We about got ran over by one of those dumbasses 3 years ago...it was by the grace of God and loud-assed handheld airhorn that the collision was avoided. Be safe out there, if you go! Image

hunting170
2018 Member of the Year

Post by hunting170 » June 20th, 2007, 3:03 pm

[email]Robin@AimLow[/email], and I, got pinned against a retainer wall, one day while bowfishing, by the wake from someone`s over-sized, status symbol of a boat. Had we taken one of those waves over the side, it would have filled the boat instantly. From what I have seen on Lake O, the biggest problem is those look-at-me sized yachts.
One day, long, long ago, there lived a woman who did not whine, nag, or bitch.
But it was a long time ago, and it was just that one day.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 20th, 2007, 3:21 pm

You are spot on H-170! My brother has a mid-sized (for Lake O) boat...more along the lines of a speed/powerboat. Seems like it might be 35', but it's not a "yacht". Last year I think it was, they sank one just like his by the new bridge just from the waves and inexperienced driver. We went through there about 30 minutes before the boat went down and waves were 4' ++. Bad part about those is you don't have a traditional "wave pattern". You have 4-6' swells in a checkerboard pattern...even experienced drivers say prayers at times like that.

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » June 20th, 2007, 4:49 pm

You guys ought to motor from Bollinger to PB2 on a Saturday afternoon about 2. I ran out of cuss words to describe the waves and ocean going vessels. OFool, you are right about the waves being crisscrossed. If they were all going the same way it wouldnt be quite a bad, but they are a femaledog to motor through.

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 20th, 2007, 5:28 pm

Triton - Where is Bollinger? We occasionally run from Gravois up to Party Cove just to watch the antics and naked wimmens. It can get hairy up there, but it always seems worse around the new bridge. There's some fornicating waves up there like you won't find anywhere else on a US inland waterway.

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » June 21st, 2007, 10:16 am

It is about 10 or so miles up past Hurricane deck bridge. Somewhere around the 40 mile marker.