Gear Ratio for Buzz Baits

Information about bass fishing in Missouri
TobyfromMO
2018 Member of the Year

Gear Ratio for Buzz Baits

Post by TobyfromMO » June 1st, 2007, 3:55 pm

Considering a higher gear ratio for buzz bait fishing. Should I be considering a 6:1 or 7:1?

Most all my baitcasters are in the range of 5:1. I'm leaning towards the 7:1 but fearful it may be a little much. Never fished this high of ratio so I have no idea what to expect.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"-Me

"Woe be the game the Omen haunts"-Mathews

"An armed society is a polite society"-Robert A. Heinlein

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Rep;: Gear Ratio for Buzz Baits

Post by Triton X2 » June 1st, 2007, 9:51 pm

Toby, I use the 6-3 on almost everything including a buzz bait. You will learn how fast to move the bait to move the bait to keep it on top of the water. At least, that is my take on the question you asked. I like the faster retreive reels to crank in the fish or keep it out of a log or bush or somthing like that. You will learn how fast to crank the reel to get the desired speed you want.
That's funny you don't look Druish.

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Rep;: Gear Ratio for Buzz Baits

Post by Triton X2 » June 3rd, 2007, 9:26 pm

MOC, go back to the feral pig area.

Jig Man
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Jig Man » June 7th, 2007, 9:45 am

You can always slow down your retrieve. I don't fish with anything slower than a 6:1. I even changed the gears in my crankbait reel because it took so long to get a second cast.

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » June 7th, 2007, 10:06 am

Jig Man said:
You can always slow down your retrieve. I don't fish with anything slower than a 6:1. I even changed the gears in my crankbait reel because it took so long to get a second cast.

Jigman, I agree. By the way, where the heck you been? I havent seen you on anything in a while. You must be going to Stockton a lot. Speaking of that, I may need some help up there in Sept. We have an ABA weekend series double pointer up there at that time. I will get in touch with ya. That is if you are even in MOMO land. Image

Jig Man
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Jig Man » June 7th, 2007, 11:22 am

I'll be around. I have been close to the Tee Pee lately. My wife's mother "fell" off her drive way and broke 4 bones in her foot. We had to cut the spring white bite short and return home.

I'll prolly be at Stockton for the Sept. spinnerbait bite again this year. If they keep the lake up, it should be a goodun cause the weed line is out to 11'.

TobyfromMO
2018 Member of the Year

Post by TobyfromMO » June 18th, 2007, 2:06 pm

I ended going with the 7.0:1. Tried it out this weekend and its fast alright. Not saying it's too fast but I probably could have gotten by with 6.3:1. None the less, I'm happy with it. Aside from the speed another bi difference is the cranking power...you sure loose alot with the higher ratio.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"-Me

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » June 18th, 2007, 2:19 pm

Toby, what kind of reel did you get?

TobyfromMO
2018 Member of the Year

Post by TobyfromMO » June 18th, 2007, 4:10 pm

Nothing fancy...its the BPS "Extreme" model. Also went with the BPS "Extreme" 6'0" MH rod. There was not a big selection of reals in my price range with the 7.0:1 ratio.

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » June 18th, 2007, 11:17 pm

could be mistaken but I believe whoever makes BP reels also makes Browning and Pfleuger as well.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » June 19th, 2007, 10:06 am

Triton: Do you have any good used St. Croix or G-Loomis rods you would sell for pennies on the dollar. I'm looking for two 6.5' and 7.0' medium-heavy and heavy action rods. I guess it doesn't really matter which is which. I'm just trying to get a deal on some used rods.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » June 19th, 2007, 10:16 am

Yes I have them and no you cant. Image Image

I do have a buddy who builds rods. I have bought 5 Loomis rods from him and I think he will build them for around 150.00 each...Now I know that is not pennies on the dollar but not a bad deal either. I am still using mine and love them.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » June 19th, 2007, 10:19 am

Damnit! Do you have an St. Croix laying around?

Next question: Do you think that is a decent choice of rods for a fair weather bass fisherman? Which way would you go on this?

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » June 19th, 2007, 10:26 am

I will have to check what it is called, but I know you can get a Bass Pro rod for around 50 bucks on sale and I have a couple of them and they are not bad at all. I will check when my boat gets back from the boat doctor. I havent had a boat for around a month or so waiting on them to fix it. Nothing major just maintenance while I still have extended warrenty. Plus I must have hit something and the cost to fix the lower unit was around 3000 dollars, which the insurance fixed.

I dont have a Croix but I know they are good rods as well. I will check on the BP rod...all I can tell you right now is that they are maroon in color.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » June 19th, 2007, 10:39 am

I guess I should just wait until next spring and buy a couple of new St. Croix rods. They are black.