Gear Ratio for Buzz Baits

Information about bass fishing in Missouri
PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Re: Rep;: Gear Ratio for Buzz Baits

Post by PoisonSnake » June 20th, 2007, 10:42 am

Chit Toby. Your family is from God's country then. But, the current does get nasty south of the MO border and the Black has too many dang rootwads. But, I'll take that over Floodway and Little River any day of the week. The bootheel is just flat nasty during the summer. It was a good place to grow up. But, with all of the meth in that region these days, I don't want any part of it. I never once saw drugs growing up. That is my biggest fear living where I do now. I'm not sure I will be able to shelter my daughters from it completely. That is why is some way I wish I lived where you live. At least maybe I could send them to a small school where everyone knows everyone and you are shunned if you do drugs. But, I guess I could do that here as well.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » June 20th, 2007, 11:34 am

The Black River is awesome, and drugs are everywhere PS. Everywhere. It seems to me like the meth cookers and some of the more serious types seek out the smaller towns just becuase of the less population and general naivety of the police force.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » June 20th, 2007, 1:51 pm

You are probably right WM. I'm sure it was right there where I was while I was growing up as well. Just seems more prominent these days.

TobyfromMO
2018 Member of the Year

Post by TobyfromMO » June 20th, 2007, 4:17 pm

PoisonSnake said:
Chit Toby. Your family is from God's country then. But, the current does get nasty south of the MO border and the Black has too many dang rootwads. But, I'll take that over Floodway and Little River any day of the week. The bootheel is just flat nasty during the summer. It was a good place to grow up. But, with all of the meth in that region these days, I don't want any part of it. I never once saw drugs growing up. That is my biggest fear living where I do now. I'm not sure I will be able to shelter my daughters from it completely. That is why is some way I wish I lived where you live. At least maybe I could send them to a small school where everyone knows everyone and you are shunned if you do drugs. But, I guess I could do that here as well.

Your not kidding when you say the summer months suck. Most of my mom's side is from Corning AR. If you?re not familiar, Corning has a terrain very similar to that of the southern most portions of the heel. Flat as a board and not a fornicating shade tree in sight...combined with the humidity it feels like its 20 degrees hotter. The mosquitos are the size of small birds.

I have several other family members who participate with their local volunteer fire dept in the big town Maynard, AR (population 250)...it?s located just north of the Pocahontas, AR. They claim they are averaging a bust on about 1 meth lab a month. That?s scary when compared to the population of the town.

Our place in Piedmont is on the lower half of the Black, below Clearwater Lake. It?s not as ?pretty? as the upper part but I like it better because we don?t get the continuous boat and floater traffic. We don?t hear much about meth labs in this area but then again we mind our own business and don?t mix with the town folks very much.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"-Me

"Woe be the game the Omen haunts"-Mathews

"An armed society is a polite society"-Robert A. Heinlein

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » June 20th, 2007, 4:24 pm

Yeah Toby. I would say Corning and Maynard are as nasty as the he11 I grew up in. You come down off of the hill there on I-55 and you can just feel the temperature and humidity change. I like it up there around Piedmont.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » June 20th, 2007, 5:00 pm

The Arcadia Valley is where its at. Just beautifull in that whole area.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » June 20th, 2007, 6:06 pm

Well, I would consider just about anything beautiful once you get out of the bootheel. I had a girl in college once tell me she had been through the bootheel and it was one of the most beautiful areas she had ever seen. I was like, "WTF have you been Imageg?".

Outdoorsfool
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Outdoorsfool » June 21st, 2007, 1:04 pm

Dave/PS - You all are right about the small towns...or even no towns. My folks live in SW Cooper County. Closest "town' is Pisgah...population a handful and a couple of dogs. The closest town that appears on a state map is Prairie Home.
Before the restrictions on OTC medications (which I have mixed feelings about) labs were prevalent along the gravel roads in that area. There were 5 labs busted within probably a 5 mile radius of the farm. Three of those were within a mile. I say "three", but one location was busted twice within 6 months and it was on the backside of the neighbor's place. They are partially disabled and don't get out on their land much. The local cooks knew that and took advantage by setting up labs on the backside of their 40 acres. It's impossible to know numbers for sure, but I'd be willing to bet there were mobile labs on a gravel road in that area about every day...easy access to several creeks in the area helped. It was not uncommon to see a large volume of traffic...unknown traffic on the gravel. Helll, I even got checked by a county LEO one day about 4 miles down a gravel road.
When my folks were out of town and I was tending the farm, I always carried a firearm with me. Never caught anyone on our place...but found signs of a dismantled lab and of people lurking around the barns and house.
Politicians are like shoemakers who make pretty shoeboxes but forget to make the shoes.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » June 21st, 2007, 2:45 pm

Its aweful bad in the far north too. That chit scares the hel1 outa me. I've seen people on the stuff, and they just get spooky and immediately go on my "never trust" list.