trolling motor batteries

Catch-all for all other types of fishing...
fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

trolling motor batteries

Post by fishnxs » May 15th, 2004, 8:02 pm

While Tigerhaze is quizzing on the Optimas, I was wondering if anyone was using the Yellow Trolling Motor Batteries that Wally World is peddlin.
The ones I looked at today for $65, they said were a dual purpose battery both starting and for trolling motors.
885 cranking amps
205 reserve amps
Either that or over to BP.

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Re: trolling motor batteries

Post by coyotewhacker » May 15th, 2004, 10:36 pm

Gary...Billy uses a single Ole Yeller, as we call them in his Tracker, and I have a pair of them in the back of the Express to power the MinnKota AT65. The only time we managed to run one down to nothing was a full day on Stockton when the winds were pushing 35 mph all day long. That was in Billy's boat. Last Monday, first time out in the Express, we fished from before 6 am to almost 3 pm in steady winds 10-20 mph. The AT65 is a straight 24 volt motor, and when I hooked the charger to it, both batteries indicated right at 50% capacity remaining. Other guys may not like them, but they have performed exceptionally well for us. I'm sure the Optimas are a superior battery, but I can get two of those high capacity Ole Yellers for what an Optima costs, and I don't need that level of performance for my kind of fishing. A guide or two day tournament guy has no problem justifying that level of equipment. Right now, I'm just trying to justify $1.90 gasoline to the old lady when I want to put gas in my boat. My two cents worth.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishnxs » May 15th, 2004, 11:04 pm

CW thanks. I too have trouble justifying the high $$'s for batteries, especially when the wife is looking over my shoulder.
Looked at some others that were over $200 a piece a while back. At $65, I can go along ways on that kind of money.

Oh for I forget, we're heading to Stockton tomorrow. Still after the crappie and wallys. May run a cat trip later in the week up around Osceola, probably be a bank fishing trip as the wife wants to go. She likes to have a fire and the coffee pot going. Hard to do in the Pro Image

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » May 16th, 2004, 6:42 am

Good luck to you guys. Watch out for those lower end biters down at Aldrich. Me and Old You Know Who are starting to talk about a cat trip....probably below the Truman Dam and launch out of the cove to the east. Got a nice ramp there.
You know that if you get a pair of those big yellow batteries you can also get a 12v RV type coffee maker and have hot fresh java in the boat!!! After that you can think about a plastic enclosure and run a small 12v A/C unit so you don't get all hot and sweaty....the possibilities are endless. That Pro of yours is big enough to put a BBQ grill on the back, couple of tables in the middle, and a gas fish fryer up front. Geeze, man....you could live on that boat if you wanted to.<<<grin!!!>>>
Jake & Elwood Blue

fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishnxs » May 16th, 2004, 9:52 am

The wife has been hinting strongly that if I didn't quit spending so much money at BP that I might get the chance to find out if I could live on it!!

safetybass
2018 Member of the Year

Post by safetybass » May 16th, 2004, 10:35 am

I run yellows in my Ranger for my Motorguide. Several times I have found my crankin' battery dead because some dufus leaves the master power switch on all week. When that happens, I just move the engine leads to one of my trolling motor batts, and keep fishing. In fact the last time that happened, about 2 months ago, I moved them to a yellow and I have left them there. I have fished hard in the wind all day and at the end of the day I can tell my batteries aren't as strong as the start of the day, but they still crank that big motor no problem. Drawbacks are, if you really push them hard, takes about 12-14 hours on standard deep cycle charge with my charger to get them back to full strength, AND, you have to keep your eyes on electrolyte levels. They will go dry. Otherwise, they work just fine for me.

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » May 16th, 2004, 3:47 pm

Ive heard good things about the wally world yellows gary.

Don't get him started CW, remember he had a kitchen sink in that thing awhile back in front of Oreillys. Probably put him one of them microwaves in it to along with a TV and small drink/bait freezer...lol

fishin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishin » May 17th, 2004, 12:16 pm

Another suggestion I found out by accident the Delco's from WalMart are about $50 a piece for the trolling batteries and will run my 24 volt to full days in the wind. I can't afford optimas either and was in the same boat as CW yesterday trying to explain $1.90 gas going into the boat.

fishin
"Now there's too many fools makin too many rules,
that's one thing you can't say about us."

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » May 17th, 2004, 2:06 pm

Guys, the way you explain it is slip a 6 gallon gas jug into the vehicle then go gas up the vehicle. Fill the Jug while there and never mention haveing to get gas for the boat to those of the fairer sex. Problem solved...lol

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » May 17th, 2004, 3:38 pm

A 6 gallon can will work fine for them little bitty outboards that use a portable remote tank. I can almost remember the "old days" when I could fish for a week on two of 'em....six gallons won't even wet down the carpet in the Express. The bad (worst?) part is that the boat has a 24 gallon built-in tank and that's kinda small by today's standards. The Express was built in '89....the new generation 18 footers have tanks up to 42 gallons built in.
That's the better part of a C-note to fill it.
Jake & Elwood Blue

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » May 17th, 2004, 3:43 pm

SB....that same dufus must be running around the countryside turning on master power switches. I have found mine on several days after parking the trailer in the barn.
Whoever it is better hope I don't catch them doing it.
When I got home from Pomme yesterday, I found it on, but BB drove the boat on the trailer and probably didn't remember to turn off the switch. But he had nothing to do with those other times. Image
Jake & Elwood Blue

safetybass
2018 Member of the Year

Post by safetybass » May 17th, 2004, 7:52 pm

I've seen the dufus. Kinda round guy with greying hair and a mustache. At least around my boat!

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » May 17th, 2004, 11:52 pm

Uhhhhhhhh.....I resemble that remark. Not quite as round as I used to be, but still got a way to go before I get mobbed by fishing groupies.
Jake & Elwood Blue

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » May 18th, 2004, 1:51 am

Carry 4 cans CW. Tell her your stocking up before the price really goes up if she catchs you...lol

fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishnxs » May 18th, 2004, 8:37 am

I've seen the dufus. Kinda round guy with greying hair and a mustache.
Ouch! Then I guess that means that I not only leave the switch on in my boat but everyone else's Image

You all are going to have to quit running all over the lake and spend more time fishing. Image