Mark Twain Flooding

Information about panfish fishing in Missouri
fishin
2018 Member of the Year

Mark Twain Flooding

Post by fishin » July 28th, 2008, 11:37 am

If you all haven't seen Mark Twain lately it is up 17 feet since Friday and has broken all previous records. Check it out, fishing is still pretty good on main lake timber but you need a good graph.

fishin
"Now there's too many fools makin too many rules,
that's one thing you can't say about us."

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » July 28th, 2008, 11:44 am

fishin, I heard its getting hard to find a ramp that isn't underwater.

fishin
2018 Member of the Year

Ramps

Post by fishin » July 28th, 2008, 12:31 pm

There a couple ramps that are open Spalding and Behrens are both still sort of usable but a lot of stuff is completely useless or unreachable because of water levels.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » July 28th, 2008, 12:33 pm

I just saw on another forum where they have closed the lake to boating. Waves hitting the earthen dam and that lake level can't help much.

fish
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fish » July 28th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Here's some pics shamelessly taken off another site :lol:

http://missouriwhitetails.com/forums/vi ... ?tid=62702

fishin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishin » July 28th, 2008, 1:26 pm

According to my source the lake is still open but you cannot be within 1000 ft of the dam. It was interesting boating because I think that would close the two ramps that are open in that area.

Wish I would have stayed at this point, it was funny to see the corp emergency response team yesterday and I am sure they are really lively today.

fishin

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » July 28th, 2008, 6:52 pm

There are no restrictions mentioned on the MO Water Patrol website.

Here's the info on the Corp's website:

http://www.mvs.usace.army.mil/pa/mvs-ne ... trion.html
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

fishin
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Mark Twain Flooding

Post by fishin » July 29th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Well they have really set a record now the lake is officially at 640! Quite the site to see, I wish I could head back up I would like to see the lake side of the dam right now. :shock:

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » July 29th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Now you know what we all down at TR have been experiencing since late March.
That's funny you don't look Druish.

fishin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishin » July 30th, 2008, 7:18 am

Well the lake is officially closed!

Triton, you all have had a really rough year there is no doubt about it.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » July 30th, 2008, 9:44 am

Parts of the lake are closed, but the remainder are open. I guess I haven't seen the same info as you Fishin: :shrug:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(current from the USACE St. Louis District website)

BOATERS BE AWARE

The U.S .Army Corps of Engineers has placed several public use restrictions on the lake due to current major flooding conditions. THIS IS A TOP PRIORITY FOR ALL BOATERS TO BE AWARE OF AND TO KEEP SAFETY AS A PRIORITY AT ALL TIMES. The following boating restrictions are being effected due to the large amount of floating and submerged debris and evolving dam operations. (1) Recreation on the lake is restricted to Daylight hours (sunrise to sunset) only. (2) A NO BOATING ZONE has been established from Point Marker B across to Frank Russell Recreation Area, effectively closing the Lick Creek arm to boat traffic. The area is defined by a buoy line. The remainder of the Lake is open. The Corps of Engineers is reminding the public to operate your boat slowly and wear your life jacket at all times.

The project remains open, including most campgrounds and high water boat launch ramps that permit boating at higher elevations. The following recreation areas are temporarily closed: Ray Behrens Boat Ramp, John Spalding Beach and Day Use Area, Indian Creek Beach, Warren G. See North and South Spillway Recreation Areas, as well as some smaller areas that include the Joanna and Lick Creek Trails and Hunter-Fisherman Access # 11 (Rt N), 20 (Hwy FF), 30 (Rt U), #12, #41(Elkfork), #23, the Duane Wheelan Access, #70 and #71, and Bluffview. The Cedar Ridge and Little Bluestem loops of the Ray Behrens Campground are also closed.

The Corps of Engineers would like to remind people in the Salt River valley to monitor media updates and follow the advice of local emergency response personnel.

Lake elevations may be monitored on the internet at: http://mvs-wc.mvs.usace.army.mil/trans/gages.html by clicking on the Salt River link and cursoring down to the Clarence Cannon-Mark Twain Lake Pool. For more information, call the Mark Twain Lake project office at (573) 735-4097 for 24-hour information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » July 30th, 2008, 9:50 am

Ahhh...I see what you're saying now- found this statement on the MO Water Patrol website. You gotta love it when the Federal and State agencies coordinate their news releases-especially when the MO Water Patrol quotes a USACE order and the USACE site doesn't mention it!!!! :bangin: :bangin: :swat: :scratch:

------------------------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Northeast Missouri

Boat Operation Restriction at Mark Twain Lake

By order of the United States Army Corps of Engineers St. Louis District, Mark Twain Lake will close to all boating traffic. The closure will be put in effect 7/30/2008 and will remain until further notice. Water levels at Mark Twain Lake are currently above records levels observed in 1993. Boats found operating in the affected area will be stopped and removed from the water. These measures are necessary to protect life and prevent property damage.

The Clarence Cannon Dam will generate power from the release of the lake water. Mark Twain Lake is a flood controlled lake and is regulated U.S. Corps of Engineers. The water being released will affect water levels and conditions on the Salt River and other tributaries. Effected residents downstream from the Clarence Cannon Dam should be prepared to evacuate if necessary. The Missouri State Water Patrol and U.S. Corps of Engineers want to remind visitors to use extreme caution around flooded areas. The release of water through the dam has caused a dangerous amount of debris to surge into the channel and branches of Mark Twain Lake.

Please visit U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, St. Louis District website at http://mvs-wc.mvs.usace.army.mil/dresriv.html for lake levels and notices. You may also contact Mark Twain Lake Project office at (573) 735-4097 or email at MarkTwainLakeinfo@usace.army.mil for more information.
Other Important Contact: Ralls County Sheriff's Department 573-985-5611

News Release ID: N07080148
Release Date: 20080729

-----------------------------------------------------------------