EPI WOOD

Do you have one. If so, tell us about it. Who is allowed in it and what goes on in there.
Jose
2018 Member of the Year

EPI WOOD

Post by Jose » September 30th, 2009, 8:23 am

Damn man, why didn't they tell us about this wood in shop? I came across some, as a gift... and damn, the chit dulled all my carving tools.

Padro
2018 Member of the Year

Re: EPI WOOD

Post by Padro » September 30th, 2009, 9:08 am

It’s some pretty good wood man, I used some to carve a customized knob for the stick on my 55 Ford F-100. I used a Dremel tool, the wood is too hard for a knife, Ese.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

IPE WOOD

Post by BornBad » October 9th, 2009, 9:32 am

I do have a question here. I did cross a small sample of IPE wood (Aka Brazilian Walnut), hard as nails. It carved well with a dremel and I liked the finish much more than regular walnut. Are there any wood craftsmen around here familiar with this type of wood and willing to give up some insight? Google has implications the saw dust can be bad for your respiration. However, it‘s not clear if it’s dust from small, here and there, wood working projects or being at the mill everyday.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 9th, 2009, 11:37 am

Contantly breathing in small particles is bad for you BB.

Just wear a mask when you can.

You could try looking into wether the wood is poinsonous or harmfull, or if it is just the dust particles.

I'm betting it's not any worse for you than insulation, and a lot of other common stuff guys have to deal with every so often when doing man projects.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » October 9th, 2009, 1:35 pm

Breathing that dust, or dust from some others such as purpleheart, is not at all good for a person's respiratory system. :no:

It affects some more than others, but any way you look at it, it's not advisable.
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » October 9th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Thanks, guys. 'Just here recently got in the habit of wearing my goggles while doing wood projects, a lesson 'lernt... The mask would be a smart move too, figured I would have 'lernt that with the 2009 black dust chimney incident, but I didn't.

:boozer:
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear