I've had better

Hosted by our own Duck Me Runnin, resident killer and cooker of everything and anything with fur, feathers or fins. This forum is for all our crazy, drinkin and fun lovin ducker buddies.
hobiecat
2018 Member of the Year

I've had better

Post by hobiecat » January 13th, 2010, 4:56 pm

This wasn't the best season on record for me... motor on the boat has a problem, lights on the boat quit working, broke my gun, put a hole in my waders, several decoys were lost in action (way more than a normal year), lost my goose call in the river, hit the mailbox with my truck while backing the boat trailer, and herniated a disc in my back by falling on an icy boat ramp... all for a mediocre, at best, duck season. Oh well, there's always next year!
I was drunk the day my momma got outta prison.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Re: I've had better

Post by Warmouth » January 14th, 2010, 9:33 am

Sounds great Hobs. Keep up the good work!

Good luck with the back injury.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Post by Rafe Hollister » January 14th, 2010, 9:35 am

You're old, Hobie.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Triton X2
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Triton X2 » January 14th, 2010, 11:00 am

at least you were safe in the bathtub?
That's funny you don't look Druish.

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » January 14th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Maybe I can balance things out a bit, Hobie.

I've also had better seasons, but I've sure as hell had worse.

We usually kill 15 or so woodies from a little slough blind we have. This year, we killed 48 ducks, including mallards and teal. I even killed a banded woodrow. thumb2:

Had some pretty fair hunts during the middle of the season, and ended with a good mallard shoot in a SEMO rice field.

And, I didn't float my hat, lose, break or tear up anything expensive, and avoided all but some minor injuries. I ain't tryin' to rub it in, I'm just glad to walk away unscathed. ( I probably shouldn't have typed that, I'm gonna go kill some geese on Sun. ) :jmplgh:

Take care of your back, brutha. I've got two of those forked up disks myself. Even after they feel better, they can come back to haunt you..
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » January 15th, 2010, 7:17 pm

I was thinking for once you all got a warm November and early December that may have kept the ducks around longer- so many other years you would have been frozen out by November.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » January 16th, 2010, 6:19 pm

TH,

Yeah, we had warmer than normal temps in the early going. The problem was that there was enough cold weather up north of us, before our season started. We had a chit load of ducks three weeks before the season started.

Add to that the reidiculous amount of rain that fell in that time frame, and you have a smorgasbord for the ducks, and no legal way to hunt them. I'd be willing to bet that in the high dollar clubs along the big muddy,there was a million bucks worth of planted food eaten by the ducks before the first shot was fired. :yes: Two days before the middle season opened, it was 50 / /50 odds as to whether we were even going to access the aforementioned wood duck blind .( The road was under water )

When the season did start, and ducks felt pressure, there was sheet water everywhere. All the birds had to do was figure out the safe palces to feed / loaf.

Open water is an obvious component of most duck hunts, but to much of a good thing can turn around and bite you in the ass. It's always a " play the hand yer dealt " thing. :cheers:
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?