Timing Is Everything

Hosted by our own Duck Me Runnin, resident killer and cooker of everything and anything with fur, feathers or fins. This forum is for all our crazy, drinkin and fun lovin ducker buddies.
Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Timing Is Everything

Post by Duck Me Runnin » January 18th, 2010, 5:39 pm

Yesterday, we had hopes of pass shooting some geese that were on a 120 acre lake that no one can hunt. It was foggy as hell, and we figured the geese may not move at all.

At 8:00 a.m., we heard a loud whistle, and then a pop. We later learned that some dude at the other end of the lake let his grandkids set off some leftover new year's fireworks. We couldn't see the lake, but we could sure as hell hear the geese leaving their refuge.

They came at us like a forkin' avian body wave attack, several hundred of 'em. At first, all I could do was laugh, then I realized that everone else was shooting. There were so many geese falling that I was scared I was gonna be decapitated before I killed my two. :rotfl:

Cut a load of firewood after that, then killed some bunnies. Rode home tired, but smilin'. :cheers:

Gonna be a buncha jerky, come the next warm weekend. :yes:
Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets ?

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Timing Is Everything

Post by Tigerhaze » January 18th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Cool- good thing that the geese flow your direction instead of the other way!!

DMR, I have been seeing a lot more Canadas than usual feeding and resting in local fields and fewer snow geese. These aren't local city birds; I'm guessing the main reason is the deep freeze taking out much of the open water but wasn't for sure. I wanted to get your guy's take on that.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » January 19th, 2010, 7:53 am

TH,

This wasn't my first rodeo. We were on the upwind side of the lake for a reason. :yes:

The colder it gets, the more calories the geese have to consume. When the snow gets deep, they'll usully key on the crests of fields, or terraces where there may be less snow. And trust me, they're keeping water open somewhere. :yes:

Speaking of snow (s), they're typically well south of here by now. But don't worry, in a month or so, you'll see all you want.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » January 19th, 2010, 9:29 am

DMR, what are you doing on here this time of day?

Duck Me Runnin
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Duck Me Runnin » January 19th, 2010, 9:33 am

My truck wouldn't start last night. I got it started this morning, but figured I better have my mechanic take a look.

So, I took the day off, and will spend it drinkin' beer and cooking somethin'. :biggrin:

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » January 19th, 2010, 9:42 am

pm your way.