PoisonSnake Tip of the Week (Week 11)

DON'T MISS THE TIP OF THE WEEK BY THE POISON SNAKE. ALSO, post your deer hunting and deer camp stories here.
PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Re: PoisonSnake Tip of the Week (Week 11)

Post by PoisonSnake » October 11th, 2012, 2:15 pm

SAMCRO wrote: However, I highly doubt you could keep up with me on straight killing on unknown ground. The ability to set a stand based on nothing other than a quick walk, hang it and kill the same day.
You are right..., I am better than you. :yes: I was hunting your "adventurous" way long before you knew what a bow was. I wish I could have done it on private land, but that was not an option.

I'll concede though. You are right in that both methods have their place these days. I prefer the lazy way of killing big bucks over the adventurous way of killing big does. That is all I am saying. :flippa:
Last edited by PoisonSnake on October 11th, 2012, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » October 11th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Warmouth wrote:But can you kill does while sleep walking like PS? I'm thinking that there should be a mutiplier for bow kills while sleeping, and walking. That's bound to catch up to your sheer numbers Craig.

Hell, anybody can kill does when you're wide awake.
Dave: I shoot them in trees as well. It is just the way I do things.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 11th, 2012, 2:56 pm

Part of the reason hunting one location vrs hunting any location is different, is the goal of the hunt, imo.

I don't think Craig is going out every hunt expecting to cross paths with a 140+, but he is after deer, and that is acheivable. Much the same as PS was talking about regarding missing sammiches and such. Getting into deer is very likely if you know what to look for. Going in blind and expecting a whopper is counting on luck.

The attitude of the hunter, and what he takes as a success is a big part of it.

I will say though that there are unintended pitfalls to hunting the same piece of land that you don't get with 'here and there' type of hunting. One of them being the amount of time you can be on stand without the deer patterning the hunter. If you're all about spending hours hunting, then the 'here and there' hunter is going to have a lot more options, and less downside to blowing a hunt or burning out a whole property.

There really are some differences when you look at the attitudes and expectations, such as scent control worries between the two of you (PS & Craig). The guy after a deer doesn't give a chit, and the guy after THE DEER spends time and effort on controling it. Both philosophies obviously work when you look at what the goals are.
Last edited by Warmouth on October 11th, 2012, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

SAMCRO
2018 Member of the Year

Post by SAMCRO » October 11th, 2012, 3:11 pm

PoisonSnake wrote:
SAMCRO wrote: However, I highly doubt you could keep up with me on straight killing on unknown ground. The ability to set a stand based on nothing other than a quick walk, hang it and kill the same day.
You are right..., I am better than you. :yes: I was hunting your "adventurous" way long before you knew what a bow was. I wish I could have done it on private land, but that was not an option.

I'll concede though. You are right in that both methods have their place these days. I prefer the lazy way of killing big bucks over the adventurous way of killing big does. That is all I am saying. :flippa:
Snake, you and I very likely started bowhunting at the same time, except the public land I was hunting was that little island over here. I'm fairly sure I knew what a bow was. I started shooting a bow in 5th grade, however old that is.

I did not step foot on a piece of private ground until 1991 in order to hunt it.
All you thugs and ugly mugs dealing drugs and making noise,
You can kill each other all you want but if you touch my little boys,
You begging for this bullet will be the last thing that you say
before I let my dark side come out to play

SAMCRO
2018 Member of the Year

Post by SAMCRO » October 11th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Oh, and the reason this post exists in the first place is because you suck at shooting.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » October 11th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Damnit Samcro. There can be no way you can be as ancient as I am. I'm 43 years old. If you are my age, I stand corrected.

I assume you are speaking Howell Island. I've been there once. I would liken it to hunting in Mingo. I decided very quickly I would not want to hunt there.

We did start shooting a bow at about the same age.

On a more serious note..., and here is where your expertise would come into play. I got drawn for a managed ML on Mingo this year. They allow 150 people to hunt in there on the closed area. I'd be willing to let you come down there that Friday and assist me on picking a spot to hunt. Now, recognize I'm not there just to kill deer. So, get that silly chit out of your head. I want at least a 130" deer on this hunt. That will be tough I am sure. But, there are some big deer in there. There are several factor (including other hunters) that could make or break this hunt. But, I'm pretty excited about it because I killed my first buck on Mingo in 1984. If you are up for the task, I'll take all the help I can get. I will take 2 does on Sunday afternoon if at all possible. I might even shoot a spike.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » October 11th, 2012, 3:25 pm

I suck at shooting a gun. Terribly bad in fact. I guess I just don't shoot enough. Not a bow though.

The statement you made about knowing your eqipment is spot-on. That is one thing I do know very well.

All of these things being said, I am very concerned about this year. I believe I am going to have to hunt my ass off and I am afraid it will be all for little or nothing. I think EHD has taken more deer than we think. Furthermore, we have had a rash of poaching going on around me. To the point that I am killing mad.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » October 11th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Warmouth wrote:I will say though that there are unintended pitfalls to hunting the same piece of land that you don't get with 'here and there' type of hunting. One of them being the amount of time you can be on stand without the deer patterning the hunter. If you're all about spending hours hunting, then the 'here and there' hunter is going to have a lot more options, and less downside to blowing a hunt or burning out a whole property.
This statement is very much correct. That is why I don't hunt until it is time to get the job done. Then, I hope to get it done quickly. This year, I am afraid, is going to be tougher.

SAMCRO
2018 Member of the Year

Post by SAMCRO » October 11th, 2012, 3:48 pm

That Mingo thing really won't be that difficult. Here's my advice to you. Head down there at least once a week for three weeks prior to your hunt. On the way, stop at your local co-op and pick up 100-lbs of corn. Spread this corn all around your stand. The further your stand is back in the swamp, the better. Not to get onto deer - they'll find you. Just to keep from getting caught.

Opening day, head in there at midnight with a sniper hawg light in place of your stab (google this).

Just follow my advice, and thank me later.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » October 11th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Yeah, that might be damn easy to do ifn' a guy could get back in there. The area is closed to all vehicles except on Sundays during the month of October, during a special youth hunt in November, and for this hunt in December. That being said, I have some ideas. But, this is not going to be an easy hunt. I'm afraid of killing a doe on Sunday because it may be midnight before i get it out.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 11th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Dam, you guys know all of the good tricks.

PS, if it's a doe before a buck type of hunt, just call in your doe tag at daylight, and you only have to worry about dragging your sorry white ass around after that.
The Doctor said I should drink more whiskey. Also, I'm calling myself 'The Doctor' now.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 11th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Oh, I meant to add 'old' to that too, sorry.

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » October 11th, 2012, 4:19 pm

We don't have to check a doe first thank God. In prior years, they had to physically bring it to headquarters before they could go back out. If I don't drop my freaking ML from the tree, I should be good.

Warmouth
2012 Member of the Year

Post by Warmouth » October 11th, 2012, 4:26 pm

That wasn't really my trick, Craig suggested that one in the past.

SAMCRO
2018 Member of the Year

Post by SAMCRO » October 11th, 2012, 7:25 pm

No, Dave. I said that's what truck lids are for. You shoot a the day before the hunt and throw it under the cover. If you're gonna learn outlaw hunting, learn it right.