Rafe's 2014 bird

Time to be talkin' turkey.
Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Rafe's 2014 bird

Post by Rafe Hollister » May 12th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Only 1 for me this year. Garner missed out on a couple chances during Youth Season. I missed a bird the first Saturday of season. I couldn't hunt the 2nd weekend. However, the last Thursday - Sunday, I hunted. Thursday AM I had a gobbler talking to me on the roost while I was finishing getting my stuff together at the cabin. I walked 70 yards from the cabin and sat down right by the gate. That one was on the neighbor's property and talked to me for 20 minutes. When he started walking away, 2 more gobbled up the hill. They were on a cliff above a cave and that whole hill is steep, so they had to come to me on the lane between the properties. I got set up where I knew the shot would be. I couldn't see them, but could easily follow their progress since they gobbled so much. When they were getting close to coming into view, another gobbled at me up the hill, then another one on the other side of the cabin, probably a little over 100 yards away from me. Fortunately, these guys finally showed themselves in full strut. I let them keep coming and was already aimed at a good shooting lane. I yelped to get them out of strut. They gobbled and put their heads up and that was it. Killed him at 6:46 AM.

"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

Rafe Hollister
Former MOTY

Re: Rafe's 2014 bird

Post by Rafe Hollister » May 12th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Check out the rusty-colored feathers around the beard.
"I'll tell you one thing about women, they don't give a damn about things on the side of the road."
- Tim Wilson

PoisonSnake
2015 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by PoisonSnake » May 13th, 2014, 9:26 am

That is interesting for sure.
Live the American dream? Baby I am the American dream.

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » May 13th, 2014, 9:45 am

Good story, nice bird. The rust color is neat.