The misses tagged her best...

This is the place for general discussion about hunting and all outdoor topics including pics of the HCOTW. Moderated by Warmouth, 2012 MEMBER OF THE YEAR.
Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

The misses tagged her best...

Post by Limbshot » November 15th, 2019, 8:11 am

So we had a new farm in Callaway County basically fall into our laps this year. It is in an agriculture area so I am sort of having to relearn how to hunt a place like this as I haven't hunted ag land in YEARS. We have hunted the property 5 times and had 35 deer sightings which is something I am definitely not used to. The landowner REALLY wants us to thin out the herd a little this year as they have been obliterating his crops. Well after sitting an "observation" stand on my first sit out there and seeing 18 deer, I set up a double set near a gate that most of the deer seemed to be using. On our second sit in that stand I saw a deer come down off the ridge and cross a creekbed then turn and start right at us. Then finally saw a decent set of antlers. Jamie was already up and ready. As the deer walked behind a big oak tree, she came to full draw and the deer turned west, which was perfect. At a distance of 25 yards, I stopped him and she sent and arrow right into the pocket above the elbow that buried all the way to the nock. The deer bolted and ran 60 yards and stopped, and moments later crashed in plain sight. What unfolded next was AWESOME!!! Jamie went BERSERK!!! She went crazy up in the tree and was shaking (as was I since I got the entire sequence on film). She was giggling and just kept saying "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, what if he's not dead? What if he gets up?" It was hilarious. I told her to relax, I saw right where she hit him and that he was dead before he hit the ground. I then replayed the shot to show her where she hit and she was super excited. Such an awesome experience. After the shaking stopped, we got down and went to collect her deer.
Proud staffer for Bust-a-Buck scent products and U-Slide Bow Holder.
http://www.bustabuckdeerlure.com/
http://u-slide.com/

RB
Admin Team

Re: The misses tagged her best...

Post by RB » November 15th, 2019, 8:33 am

I'd love to see that video. The farm sounds awesome. I know that area and it's full of deer. That's a great hunting story with a funny but successful ending. Pictures won't open for me though.

Limbshot
2016 MEMBER OF THE YEAR

Post by Limbshot » November 15th, 2019, 3:07 pm

That is weird. I can see them just fine. Not sure what else to do. Resizing for this page is a pain in the cornhole.
Proud staffer for Bust-a-Buck scent products and U-Slide Bow Holder.
http://www.bustabuckdeerlure.com/
http://u-slide.com/

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » November 15th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I have seen the pictures. Believe me she killed a very nice buck.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » December 20th, 2019, 7:54 pm

Glad to hear- I couldn't see the photos but sounds like a good one.

My firearm season was mixed. I hunted my farm in NW MO which is a forested wetland surrounded by thousands of acres of croplands along a major stream corridor. I ended up seeing deer close every day but mostly young bucks and a few does, but much fewer does than usual. I also saw a couple good bucks but only one that was close enough to shoot- however I never got the shot lined up to where I was comfortable dropping it without wounding and/or running onto the less than friendly neighbor's. It wasn't anything spectacular but a decent 8 or 10 pointer.

My brother got a good 10 pointer- good spread and long main tines but not all that heavy on the beams. I might post a photo if I can find a way to host it online as Photobucket screwed me with changing to a fee based service.

I also saw other wildlife that was pretty interesting including a bobcat. The most interesting non-deer sighting was watching a coyote near dark come into the timber (didn't want to shoot it because a big buck might have walked in from the other direction). It laid down in a clearing and found a hedge apple and played with it like your dog would do by itself.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"