SuperBowl Weekend Rabbit Hunt

This is the place for general discussion about hunting and all outdoor topics including pics of the HCOTW. Moderated by Warmouth, 2012 MEMBER OF THE YEAR.
Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

SuperBowl Weekend Rabbit Hunt

Post by Tigerhaze » February 13th, 2020, 8:04 pm

I went for a weekend of rabbit hunting on Super Bowl weekend with a buddy of mine from northeast MO. He came out to my area (Truman Lake area) with his son and two of his beagles. He decided to hunt out my way because he had hunted several times and places in NEMO with no luck, using dogs that normally get him limits, so he figured it couldn't be any worse out my way and wanted the chance to explore.

I told him beforehand many of the places on Corps ground on Truman Lake were underwater this past summer and fall but did not deter him. He got three rabbits right off the bat at one place near the Tebo Creek arm of the lake and I met up with him afterwards and hunted near Sparrowfoot. We didn't see any the rest of the day but a ton of coyote digs and tracks and even saw one at a distance during the day.

The second day wasn't much better- lots of good cover and some snow still on the ground there (further east) but again no scent by the dogs but signs of coyotes. I then led him to a conservation area north of the lake I know and again great cover but only got on one rabbit. We didn't hunt the full day as it was SuperBowl Sunday but decided it wasn't worth hunting rabbits anymore this season in Missouri. They seem to be in a down cycle because just two years ago I went with his dogs and limited out in two hunts in a weekend. Until coyotes get under control it will probably stay that way.
"Control Stupidity- Spay or Neuter Your Politician"

RB
Admin Team

Re: SuperBowl Weekend Rabbit Hunt

Post by RB » February 17th, 2020, 11:54 am

I know a guy that breeds and sells beagles and he hunts every weekend with his pack.
They wrapped up this past Saturday and killed over 300 for the season. I think a lot of his hunts are north of 70 in farm country. He has a big following on Facebook and gets a lot of offers to hunt great farms. Usually has 3or 4 guys with him and they all limit out almost every trip.

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » February 21st, 2020, 7:46 pm

That buddy has a female beagle he wants to breed and may also be looking for a new one- does this guy have a public listing for his business?

RB
Admin Team

Post by RB » February 22nd, 2020, 11:02 am

TH do you still have the tigerhaze hotmail? I can send you an email with info

Tigerhaze
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Tigerhaze » March 3rd, 2020, 5:32 pm

Yeah, I have that one.