Wolfie and other setliners

Information about catfish fishing in Missouri
BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Re: Wolfie and other setliners

Post by BornBad » May 27th, 2004, 9:51 pm

@ Kutter: If so, good thing I dont have my name on the dozen or so crank baits I have lost trying to pull the plug out from the bottom of the lake. I do enjoy it though when I snag, and have the line strength, to pull up small cedars, logs, etc with a half dozen cranks on it.

@ Bwillaup: I like to set yo yo's baited with happy meal toys. It sure messes with my 3yr old Image

@ Wolfie: You wanna bet ? I got a 6 pack that says I can catch more numbers of bass than you can cats, in a 3 hour matchup, single pole, daylight hours, on any boatable rural MDC managed lake under 400 acres, about equal distance between us, that neither of us has fished before.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » May 28th, 2004, 1:11 am

You'd lose Bornbad...lol Think about it for a second. Limit on bass at best is 6. Limit on cats is 10(15 counting flatheads). Cats can and will live in water where bass can't. There are probably double if not more cats in any one lake then there are bass. And if you want to just count numbers and not size i can pull 50 bullheads out by the time you've got 10 bass...lol
I Bass and catfish and ive yet to see a day or water i could'nt catch at least double(or more) cats then i could bass from any water. Im killer on cats and i aint no slouch with Bass either...lol

I tell ya what, let me get things squared away on the Bronco, this holiday and hopefully the catfish get together. About mid june or so me and you can check out this lil lake i know of about half way between us on I44.
Oh, i drink Millers Genuine Draft...lol Image

Kutter, if your name/addy is on them jugs, someone finds them enventualy, weelllllll....your screwed!...lol

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » May 28th, 2004, 6:22 am

I aint worried about what the limit is, had no intentions of even live wellin mine cuz I'm sure we each could find someone to tag along on the boats as an authenticator of catch.

Nope, no lakes that you know of - has to be virgin territory so we both have the equal handicaps. I had to take both my uncle-n-law and father-n-law to school for the same claim you made on numbers, I see my work here has just begun Image

Bud Light Image
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

cook
2018 Member of the Year

Post by cook » May 28th, 2004, 7:44 am

I'd give you both a 6-pac to tag along and get some pointers.
I'm thinking instead of total weight or numbers,a fair comprimise is the largest average weight per fish.This would eliminate a boatful of dinks .

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » May 28th, 2004, 8:35 am

Average weight per fish ? Naw, I wont take that bet against a catter Image

JHawkWX
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JHawkWX » May 28th, 2004, 10:21 am

"...beer swilling trash chucking river floaters..."

Fair point Wolfie, I'm just ashamed to admit I've floated w/ these kind of turkeys. Floated the Niangua one year and the local yocals were nabbing boats looking for dope. Hell, I could give a rip less whether some doper gets busted over the fact that these types are trashing the rivers. To each his own, but let's redirect some priorities when it comes to law enforcement here.

I'm w/ ya' on packing it in/out. I clean every campsite I ever use and leave it cleaner than I found it. Hell, I even pick up the nasty cigarette butts, which they're now saying leach toxins into the water eventually.

I think we would see a big change if we all adapted the "leave it cleaner than you found it attitude". Uphill battle fighting ignorance though!

fishnxs
2018 Member of the Year

Post by fishnxs » May 28th, 2004, 10:35 am

I will gladly tag along to referee this little shindig----and hold the beer of course

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » May 28th, 2004, 3:28 pm

Bornbad, even without limits, just catch n release your going to lose...lol

Lake im talking about ive never fished, never even seen it. Just know it's location from looking at the MDC Atlas. Fact is it's just right at rolla there so you've probably fished it, best find us another.

Work? Your going to have to work your a$$ off to even try to keep up...lol

You mean you wont put one of them Hawg bass up against a fat cat weight wise? Where's your sporting blood man?...lol

Cook, Gary, i reckon we will need some unofficial refs to keep count...lol

Cook, i think we will have to have us a minimum length limit though or ole Bornbads going to be chucking crappie jigs and counting dinks...lol

But gary, you aint holding the Beer!

Yeah JH, you can usualy tell when there's a group of floaters comeing down river for the pop cans ect that float down first. Not all are bad but enough that they leave a mess. And those that have been swilling seem to get worse as the miles time goes by. Wonder if it would be possible to get a law passed for paddleing under the influance?...lol

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » May 29th, 2004, 1:16 pm

Cats on average are larger, with faster growth rates and much larger potentials than bass, I am not challenging that.

Dinks is what I am counting on, your claim was numbers ("more") and that is what I am challenging you on. I'm lucky to get 4 hrs on the boat every two weeks and catching fish is what I am there for.

Actively searching out feeding top predators is far more appealing than anchoring and tight linning for a bottom dwelling mud sucker. If your gonna talk shmack about being able to catch more cats than a basser can bass, I'll call you on it Image With 3 hours of day light and a single pole.

Surprised one of those
Bass fishermen wannabes the crappie fishermen
aint stepping up to the plate Image

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » May 29th, 2004, 2:36 pm

Now Bornbad, cats are the ultimate predator, they even eat them nasty scaley vermin bass...lol
And if you want to count dinks that makes it even easier catching more cats then bass. Thought we was going to fish for FISH not minners...lol
Single pole? Now where did that lil rule come from? No one said how many poles you could use. As for bass fishermen wannabe crappie fishermen, i think Cook did step up and ask for pointers. But i think he was asking for pointers for the top of the food chain predator the catfish...lol

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » May 29th, 2004, 7:59 pm

If you was hinting to Little Prarrie Lake, then Yes, I know it. 'Tell you what, I'll modify the challenge and let you have your 3 poles to my one pole, if Little Prarrie that is the lake you want to loose a 6 pack of beer over.

Cats aint nottin but carrion eating mud suckers Image

Kutter
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Kutter » May 29th, 2004, 8:56 pm

oneshot
2018 Member of the Year

Post by oneshot » May 29th, 2004, 11:45 pm

I've got a Lake for you guys.Its in Moniteau County,Manito Lake Conservation Area.5 miles South of Tipton on Highway 5.

I think you both will be about even there.

oneshot
Image The Big Grin likes the Agent up there.

cook
2018 Member of the Year

Post by cook » May 31st, 2004, 8:23 am

BB,not all cattin is done from a standstill,drifting for blue cat is an example.I like it that you fish to catch fish,not just for size.
Carry on!

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » May 31st, 2004, 9:43 pm

I volunteer to ride with Fishnxs and watch him closely so he doesn't drink all the beer....since I have a small dose of diabetes, my beer drinking days are over, so it would be safe with me. Uh huh! If'n you boys wait until it gets nice and warm, Born Bad is gonna have a distinct advantage with a morning topwater bite on the basses. If the lake is a sewer settling pond for some big town, then I guess Jessie would have an edge with his catfish...... anyway, I'll definitely be available to watch Gary from the back of his bass yacht. The Coyotewhacker definitely has the means to keep his paws out of the cooler, pony keg, or whatever the bet is for. 'Course over the past year, I ain't never been able to get the Wolfman to take me up on any sporting propositions, so this is all new stuff to me.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue