What round do you like??

Information about hunting predators in Missouri
DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

What round do you like??

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 6th, 2004, 1:58 am

I think that the new .204 or .220 cal's would be great coyote rounds. Maybe even the .243? I aint much into the varmint hunting just yet I guess you would call me a newbie. So what do ya'll think???

DoniphanRedneck Image

tring to get a post off and started...
Accuracy is everything.. live by it, eat by it..
--Bugger off you dried up old codfish--

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Re: What round do you like??

Post by coyotewhacker » March 6th, 2004, 1:26 pm

Just about any "deer round" will work on varmints. That has a couple of advantages...you don't have to drop the dollars on a special varmnit gun (but what's so bad about that??) and you can keep shooting your deer rifle in the off-season to stay sharp. However, that is not the point of the question: I have three cartridges I am partial to for coyote hunting...the .25-06 with a 117 grain hollowpoint bullet...it's hard on the hide, but harder on the coyote.
Next would be the .243 Winchester...a great all around cartridge and deadly on coyotes out past 400 yards with a good load. Again, hard on the hides if you skin the songdog and sell the fur. Probably the most accurate round that I use, at least in my guns. Last is the .223 Remington in a single shot NEF Handi Rifle. The rifle is about as "cheap" as you can get for a single shot, but performs like a high dollar bolt gun. If you reload, and use military cases, it doesn't cost as much as .22 mag ammo and is much more versatile and powerful. Even if you don't reload, there is a lot of .223 ammo (mostly out of Russia) that is cheap and accurate. If you just want to kill coyotes, the .243 would be the round of choice for me. If you want the challenge of the long range shot across a 1/4 mile pasture fenceline, then consider the bigger .25-06. My personal range on the .223 is between 150 and 200 yards. For a real challenge, try calling the coyotes in close enough to use a handgun....at 25 yards just about any of them will take down a coyote. Hope that give you some ideas to think about.
If you are looking for an excuse to put off buying new shoes for the baby and get another rifle instead, you're on your own! Image
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 6th, 2004, 8:37 pm

Thats some good info. Thank you. I am kinda partial to the .243 but I'm thinking about the .223 too. There reason for the .243 would be that I can use it deer huntig also. Dang 1/4 mile ranges around here--ther are few but none the less there are some..

Thanks again
DoniphanRedneck Image

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 7th, 2004, 8:55 am

The new super short magnum rounds look like they have some amazing ballistics, but $$$$$$ for a new rifle just ain't in the picture right now. Trying different rounds is just part of the fun of critter hunting. I reload for a pretty wide spectrum of rifle and pistol ammo, and even cast a pistol bullet every now and then. Saves a ton of money if you want to shoot a lot. There is a fellow named Woodgoat over on the Missouri Whitetails forum who makes some of the finest competition grade bullets I have ever seen. They are cast lead rifle slugs that look like they have been machined from a billet of chrome steel. He competes in muzzleloading shoots in Georgia, Missouri, and probably points in between. He's a great source of information, too.
Jake & Elwood Blue

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » March 7th, 2004, 10:21 pm

17 hmr. 150 - 200 yard range, place the shot in their center mass, they drop like bricks. no recoil, very little report. sub moa accuracy all that for about $10 for 50 rounds. and did i mention accurate enough to take anything from a coyote down.
Ain't gonna break, ain't gonna bend, we're just carryin on!

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » March 7th, 2004, 10:47 pm

The little .17 has become real popular for all kinds of varmint hunting. The only drawback I saw was that it was real hard to find it for a while. Looks like CCI and Hornady have the supply line problem about whipped. For a hunter who wants to keep the hide, it is probably the BEST of the available rounds...tiny entry hole and usually no exit wound. I keep thinking about a .17/223 wildcat round, which would be considerably bigger than the 17 HRM, but is reloadable. Another good wildcat closer to the Hornady would be the .17/22Hornet with a sharp 40 degree shoulder.
A fairly inexpensive way to get there would be to buy a NEF in .17 HRM and have it rechambered for a few bucks.
Jake & Elwood Blue

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » March 8th, 2004, 11:40 pm

hmmmm. don't they make a wildcat round called the 17 hornet, or the k-hornet? and yes now that ammo is made by federal, remington, cci, and hornady, the supply line should be taken care of, at least until mine comes back with a sweet 2&1/2 lb trigger!
Ain't gonna break, ain't gonna bend, we're just carryin on!

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 9th, 2004, 2:00 am

I was thinking about the little .17 because I could use it to hunt tree squirrels if I take head shots.. But then I really like the recoil of a gun. But it is still a good option.

DoniphanRedneck Image

Predator
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Predator » March 9th, 2004, 2:08 am

22-250

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 9th, 2004, 2:17 am

A .22 bullet in a .250 case am I right?

Nice long range shooting and very fast and accurate..
If you are going to go to that extreme how about the 25.06?
A .25 bullet in a .06 case, little heavier/slower bullet but balance is great and the long range accuracy is great also.(little more kick from what I hear)

DoniphanRedneck Image

Predator
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Predator » March 9th, 2004, 11:48 pm

Less kick than the 25.06 and less damage. I had concidered it because it would be good for deer also. I also thought about the 220 swift but I wanted something that could cut the wind and go a little farther and still have the power. I went shooting today and can put 3 in a quarter easly at 100 yards (and I'm not real good with it). Ammo is expensive...a .223 would be a better starter gun. Mine is a Savage with the new accu trigger.

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 10th, 2004, 12:38 am

So the 22.250 is also good on deer?? Always thought it may have been, but just never was sure of it. I really haven't heard to much about the little .220 swift but what I do hear is that it is one fast little bugger.. If you play your cards right the .223 will take down a deer also. I know of a guy in my town that hunts deer with that gun and even took a, I beleave 10 pointer with it lastyear. It seems alittle small to me for deer but I guess looks aren't all that a round is judged by.. You hear alot about the 22.250 being the optimum round for varmints though.....

DoniphanRedneck

Predator
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Predator » March 10th, 2004, 12:47 am

Well the 25.06 is ok for deer. I've heard said that the 22.250 would be good to about 100 yards but I think it's kind of small. The .243 is a real good gun for deer. Here is a good place to compair: http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-cartridges-ballistics.html

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 10th, 2004, 12:57 am

From what I see the new .204 ruger looks to be a dang good varmint gun.. I think if I was going for long range deer I'd go the .243 or 25.06 varmint would be ..dang..um. 22.250, .204, .223.

There sure are alot of rounds out there but if ther ewas only one cal for each thing that would make it boring..
Thanks for the sight..

DoniphanRedneck

Chairman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Chairman » March 13th, 2004, 2:16 pm

I finally worked up some good loads for my custom-made wildcat 6mm~250. I had Virgin Valley Custom Guns make the barrel, for my Thompson Encore handgun.

I took a deer with it last year, and I'm planning on doing some 'yote hunting with it this year.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...