What round do you like??

Information about hunting predators in Missouri
DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Re: What round do you like??

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 26th, 2004, 10:15 am

I really think that the .204 will be a big hit. Target shooters and game hunters alike will come to like it I do beleive. Just have to get used to the idea of a new round.

DoniphanRedneck
Accuracy is everything.. live by it, eat by it..
--Bugger off you dried up old codfish--

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » March 29th, 2004, 2:01 pm

i just got done over at rimfirecentral, people are reporting that cleaning is hurting their accuracy. in fact, cleaning only when accuracy starts to suffer seems to work out great, which means to me maybe twice or thrice a hunting season
Ain't gonna break, ain't gonna bend, we're just carryin on!

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 29th, 2004, 3:13 pm

I clean mine after every season is over then I just before season I go out and shoot it some to see how it's doing. If it's doing great I'll leave it alone, but I have to clean it after season because of the snow and rain we get sometimes. I aint to fond of rust forming on my gun.

DoniphanRedneck

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » March 30th, 2004, 2:43 pm

I hear you on that. I tell you, I am sure glad I got rid of my 597 in a trade for my 17. theres just something about an exploding turtle at 100 yards on a log or watching feathers fly when you smack a crow. awesome, completely awesome.

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » March 30th, 2004, 3:10 pm

You got one HECK! of a trade there. Wish I couold so lucky to find someone willing to trade for a .17 hmr. The only thing I have right now even remotely close is my model 60 shooting stingers.

I think I'll be buying a .17 sometime this year though. What kind you got and how good a gun is it?
I also seen ruger is making a 10/17 with a 20-22 inche barrel I think.

DoniphanRedneck

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » April 1st, 2004, 3:20 pm

i have the synthetic stocked ruger with the sporter barrel.
It has the possiblity of shooting half inch and better moa, but that is with my bench rest. here lately, i have been getting around 1- 1.25 moa at 100 yards off an informal rest such as a tree or bale of hay. I like it alot for the fact that it feels like my deer rifle, but a few lbs lighter. as far as the 10-17, go out and buy a a use ruger 22 mag.... then go to gmriflebarrel.com and get a 80 -100 dollar 17 barrel to put on it. you wont be dissapointed. but i would suggest getting a bolt gun. for the simplicity, and accuracy. plus, it forces you be a better shooter, knowing that you have to consentrate on your first shot.
Have you thought of joining rimfirecentrals forums. its free and full of tons of info on everything rimfire.

a little secret, I gave 139 for my 597 five years ago and got 100 out of it on the trade. it wasn't straight up, as this was a brand new gun. another secret, if getting a ruger, go through davidsons, at galleryofguns.com. they have an uncondional, 100% no questions asked no fault lifetime warrenty on their guns. tell your dealer to check into that.
also, at RFC, they are dissapointed by the ruger shooting MOA, which is almost a crime, considering that any gun is pressed to shoot moa. for a rimfire, it is exceptional. I definitally have more confidence that i will hit what I am aiming for in the woods, of course the 100 yard squirrel head seems nice. but I like to get up close, usually under 50. but at 50, it shoots a small ragged nine hole clover leaf. they at RFC compare them to the marlins and savages, but those only come with bull barrels on them. that little sporter barrel does wonders for me... a 120 yard black bird can testify to that if he were still breathing.

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » April 1st, 2004, 4:06 pm

Sounds like a great gun.. I"m a member at RFC and I love it over there. Great info about guns. I think i may be able to find someone with a used 10/22 mag somewhere and if not there are gun auction online like gunbroker.com. I have an older ruger 10/22lr carbine and I"m really thinking about giving it a new aged upgrade.

The model 60 will shoot 2 1/2-3 inch at over 100 yards with winchester wildcats. and I've made a few rare 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards and I haven't tried 50 as of yet but I haven't missed many squirrels and when I did it was because the stinking squirrel moved as I pulled the trigger on it.

I was thinking about getting a GM bull barrel for the 10/22lr and getting a few new parts for inside the action. I think the trigger is fine for hunting but if I start to do any target shooint with it a new trigger group will be put in the baby.

The model 60 is a great hunting gun but I really like the ruger... You said something about a boltaction, what do you think abot the ruger 77/22? Of savage mark II BV?

DoniphanRedneck

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » April 1st, 2004, 8:34 pm

I have the 77/17, which is the ruger 77/22 in the 17, definiatly go get the ruger in the 17 or 22 mag, get a gm 17 or 22 mag barrel with the factory contour, then you would have a great switch barrel gun. if not, you can always find factory barrels on ebay. my second choice under the ruger would be marlin, then savage. i went with the ruger because of the craftsmanship and 9 round magazine that fits flush with the stock. I would not hesitate to get a 77/22 in LR. cause i can find an unused 22 mag barrel and pop on my 17.

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » April 1st, 2004, 11:46 pm

Sure sounds like you know your stuff. I am like you the ruger is better craftsmanship and a real nice 9 round clip. I will probly get the 77/17 and buy a factor contour .22 mag barrel for the switch off. And I"ll defenantly get the 77/22lr for my lr side and get a GM barrel for it.

As I'm sure you read on here in another post I wrote. I tried a trick off of RFC with my older 10/22lr, I took the barrel band off and it srunk my 1 inch groups down to a 1/2 inch groups!! A bone stock rifle doing this was amazing for me since I really didn't know if I could pull off a group like that. I have to buy some more ammo for the gun since it really likes the CCI mini-mags alot. If it's shooting this good factor I'm afread to know how it will shoot with a GM barrel upgrade.

DoniphanRedneck

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » April 7th, 2004, 11:55 am

I doesn't surprise me, ruger makes the best factory barrels out there hands down. Remington has been slacking off for the past 15 years other wise id get another one.

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » April 15th, 2004, 2:34 pm

a little update; by getting a 77/22 in LR... GM will Be offering the 17 m2 barrels for the rugers i guess sometime in late may!

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » April 15th, 2004, 7:31 pm

they will? Great! I really want to get the 10/22 barrel for them since I only have a 10/22 lr.

They seem to be a great little round.

DoniphanRedneck

JBMan
2018 Member of the Year

Post by JBMan » April 18th, 2004, 12:26 am

yep, im gonna break down and buy one too...the stainless target model... Also If you have the sporter barrel, GM will now be offering sporter barrels for the rugers too.

DoniphanRedneck
2018 Member of the Year

Post by DoniphanRedneck » April 18th, 2004, 12:58 am

I can't wait for this new .17 Hm2 to come out so I can upgrade my 10/22 to it. Man o man never been so anxiouse(sp) for a new cal' to come out.

DoniphanRedneck

naylor204
2018 Member of the Year

Post by naylor204 » December 21st, 2004, 9:52 pm

well i have one of the new 204s and it is a great shooting gun for varmits very acc and fast i recommend for varmits Image