What round do you like??

Information about hunting predators in Missouri
naylor204
2018 Member of the Year

Re: What round do you like??

Post by naylor204 » December 21st, 2004, 9:55 pm

and also for those how are interested and did not know that the 204 shoots faster that the 220 swift it does it is the fast com.... round on the market right now

Wolfman
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Wolfman » December 22nd, 2004, 3:22 am

Adam, have you had a chance to test it on yotes/foxs/bobkitties yet?
Im interested in the .204 but have'nt seen much said on fur damage yet. Does it open em up like a .222 or 22-250 or does it explode nicely after entrance leaveing a small entrance hole and no exit hole?
Im curious to see if it's results are similar to the 17 Rem. From what ive seen most yoters love that lil centefire as it does quite nicely on yotes/cats/foxs causeing little fur damage.
So far from what ive read the 17 HMR and Mach II leave something to be desired on yotes and cats though they do well on foxs.

JimDog
2014 Member of the Year

Post by JimDog » December 22nd, 2004, 7:38 am

Sorry guys. Can't offer any advice on any of these high speed rounds. But you have given me a great excuse to post up these video snippets.

Gutless

Maximum Carnage
A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.

BornBad
2018 Member of the Year

Post by BornBad » December 22nd, 2004, 8:10 am

Image @ JDog's movies.
I take that life if I can, with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature’s ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow. – Fred Bear

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » May 17th, 2005, 11:24 am

JD That is awsome!!! What are they shooting?

I can atest to the 22-250 and the .223 as I own both calibers.I have a SavageImage Mod.110GV in 22-250 with a 4-16X40 Tasco Para, with this weapon I have used the 22-250 for woodchucks, crows and cats and consistantly had 1MOA shots a 400yds. I also have an NEF Ultra rifle in .223 bull barrel with a 4-12x40 Simmons Para, While I have not taken and game with it I have shot several targets with 3/4" 5 shot groups @ 100yds. I guess my point is if you can put a bullet in a shotgun wad @ 100yds any rifle could be a Deer rifle.

For varmints I really like the 22-250!

OH almost forgot:

53gr hornady MGHP w/CCI LR primer,36.3 GR. of IMR 4064 Powder.

Hellbender
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Hellbender » May 18th, 2005, 12:18 pm

I have rifles from 17 remington to 257 Roberts that I've killed 'Yotes with. My favorite is the 17 Remington for calling, and the 257 for long range. I'm not talking about that new peashooter, but a real 17. Image
"Carlye said, A lie cannot live; it shows he did not know how to tell them." Mark Twain

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » May 18th, 2005, 2:24 pm

Then again a 30-06 Imageloaded with a 110 GR.FMJ would turn a coydog inside out in a hurry!

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » May 18th, 2005, 4:56 pm

If it is a sexual preditor I prefer the 30-06 with a 220 Gr mercury filled balistic tip and a head shot!

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » May 18th, 2005, 6:21 pm

We pretty much have eliminated the sexual predators around here, so that leaves just the coyotes and the occasional feral dog pack that roams through. For coyote work, I usually use a single shot NEF .223. Cheap, accurate, really bad trigger. If I'm shooting from an elevated stand, the Ruger #1 in .243 gets the call. Not cheap, exceptionally accurate for slow fire, great adjustable trigger. I am anxious to get out with the new M77 All Weather in 7mm Rem Mag and see what's left (if anything) after a boiler room hit with a 140 grain ballistic tip bullet. I was range testing it a couple of days ago, and for a spaghetti barrel it holds quite well at a hundred yards. The handloads were holding right at 3/4 inch shooting off a Lyman rest. It might possibly replace the #1 for long range coyote removal. Free running feral dogs do not get the courtesy of a long range, high pressure round....I have an H&R Ultra Hunter in .308 (moderate price, same terrible trigger, but has accuracy potential) with an old Bushnell 4 x 42 scope on top. For a bargain bin pickup at $15, it is one heck of a scope. Bright clear optics and a ranging crosshair on the elevation....I got it sighted in the same day I was playing with the 7mm mag, and it's almost dialed in. I may send the action back to H&R for a factory trigger job because with handloads and pulled military FMJ bullets it will hold between and inch and an inch and a quarter all day long at a hundred yards. Target quality bullets might make a big difference. Sierra Bullets up in Sedalia sells them by the pound, so a road trip will soon be in order. Last fall I got to test some 150 grain hollow points on a pair of coyote yearlings that foolishly sat and watched as I pulled into a pasture. I got off a shot at over 250 yards that got them trotting off toward cover, but one stopped and watched as I pulled up about 150 yards out on the 4 wheeler. The next hollowpoint literally cut the coyote in half at the junction of the spine and bottom of the rib cage. Since I do not sell the hides, it was a very impressive hit. Those .308 rounds are now set aside for the next pack of feral dogs that show up harrassing the local cows. Will carry the 7mag as a backup gun for really long range shooting.
We're on a mission from God.
Jake & Elwood Blue

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » May 19th, 2005, 9:47 am

coyotewhacker said:
We pretty much have eliminated the sexual predators around here,
Are you sure? http://www.criminalcheck.com/ check it out

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » May 19th, 2005, 10:07 am

Our local sheriff's department has a website showing where all the registered sex offenders live in this county. Plus the usual boyfriends of mothers with sexually active twelve year old middle school girls....the big thing around here is meth labs. They sprout up like mushrooms, contaminate a few acres, then they're gone again. My fondest wish is to find one in operation with the chef busy at work and I get to put a tracer round into the cooker....Boom! No more meth lab, no more chef. No more problem. Image
Jake & Elwood Blue

Big John
2018 Member of the Year

Post by Big John » May 19th, 2005, 3:23 pm

COOL!!!!!!!!

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » May 22nd, 2005, 9:47 am

I've used the great 222 Remington and still have a fondness for it but no longer own one. Also the 220 Swift is a favorite but no longer owned. Currently I own a 22-250 in a Ruger # 1 that I would REALLY like to no longer own, (hint, hint, hint), as I haven't used it for some time. Overall I would probably take the 22-250 if I were still into smokeless. Now days it's a 36 flint loaded heavy. I have taken yodel dogs with my 40-70 Sharps, 45-90 Sharps, 6.5 X 55 Swede (a muy grande' cartridge!), 303 Savage, 270 Win. and a few others I forget. Coyotes are like cats.....nuthin' is too big.

Vic

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

coyotewhacker
2018 Member of the Year

Post by coyotewhacker » May 22nd, 2005, 7:09 pm

Sharps45-90....you and me must be real close kinfolks somewhere along the line. When you mentioned the 6.5 Swede, it nearly brought tears to my eyes. I have one that I picked up as a stock military rifle several years ago, and a backwoods gunsmith who lived down near Greenfield on the south end of Stockton Lake did some work on it for me. Turned it into a super shooting rifle, but we glass bedded the original military stock, cut it down a little, and it shot even better. Then I put it in a Midway laminated stock and the nice folks at Timney triggers put one of their Sportsman triggers in when I could not get it to work right.
I killed a ton of deer with that rifle that still has the original 1896 barrel on it that is cleaner than a lot of new guns straight off the rack. It's on loan to a neighbor right now, but it will come back soon. Those are amazing rifles in many ways...not the least of which is the reason for the polished bore in the military barrel...the Swedes hve not engaged in a shooting war in many years, but their military was always well armed and well trained. However, for training they never shot jacketed bullets. Their training ammo used wood bullets, which did not cause any wear on the bore, and indeed, polished them to extreme smoothness and brightness. When I got the rifle, the end of the barrel was threaded. I wondered if it was for a flash hider or other muzzle accessory....that was where the bullet shredder screwed on for live fire practice. Fabulous old rifle, easy to shoot, and has near bench rest accuracy at any reasonable range out to 350 yards. I love 'em.Mine is one of the "real" Swedish Mausers made at the King Carl Gustaff armory in Stockholm. For some reason, the Swedes farmed out a lot of them to the Mauser factory in Oberndorf, sending their own people down to supervise the run. Quality wise there is probably no difference between the two, but the fit and finish of mine is superb.
I had a bolt gun in .303 Savage too, but never developed a fondness for that round. The .308, which is an offshoot of the Savage round, is just a bit better for all around shooting, so I parted with the Savage.
Jake & Elwood Blue

sharps4590
2018 Member of the Year

Post by sharps4590 » May 23rd, 2005, 7:54 pm

Coyote.....I had a push feed Mod 70 Featherweight in 6.5 X 55 that I sold and I could still kick my butt for ever parting with it. For 3 rounds it was one of the most accurate production rifles I ever owned. I also had one of the sporterized '96 Swedish Mausers that was marketed a few years ago. It was accurate enough. My oldest son now owns it and he won't part with it because his wife uses it. Great cartridge and great rifles. I also used to have a Carl Gustav full military 6.5. They are some of the finest finished military rifles I ever saw. The barrel was threaded for a flash suppressor and at one time they were still available because I got one for mine.

My experience with the military barrels was that 140 gr. bullets were about as light as I could get to shoot accurately because of the long throat for the 160 grainer the military ammo was loaded with. The Model 70 had a less long throat and liked everything from 140's on down. I like a heavy for caliber bullet so I settled on the 140's. I was getting 2750 fps across my Pact chrono with it.....ONLY in the Model 70 and everything was fine. Case head expansion and primer pockets were great and extraction was butter smooth. Mostly I suspect it was due to the tighter commercial chamber because the loads weren't that much hotter. I stayed below book on the military Swedes. As I said, a "muy grande" cartridge. Now living in Missouri, again, if I could only have one rifle that fired smokeless powder it would be either the 6.5 or the 270.......I'm just glad I don't have to choose!!!!!!!!!

Are you confusing the 303 Savage with the 300 Savage? The 303 was only chambered in the 1899 and later the 99 I believe, but could sure be mistaken. The 300 was and is a fine cartridge and is just barely below the 308, as you alluded to. The 303 Savage is basically a ballistic twin of the 30-30 and the cases are very similar but not interchangeable. About the only difference is bullet weight. The 303 was factory loaded with a 190 gr. bullet and everyone knows the 30-30 loads. My 303 is in a Mod. 1899 manufactured in 1919 and has the factory tang sight with the fold down aperature and the original ivory bead. With mid-range, gas checked, 170 grain, cast bullet reloads I can hold it around 2 1/2 inches even with my tired old eyes. It's a pleasant round even in the carbine version I have and certainly adequate for anything from deer on down within it's range limits.

Yea, we might be some kind of shirt-tail kin. We sure seem to share a lot of the same interests in rifles. Always enjoy your posts.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing